Tex

Question for Kamado/Stick burner users.

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I was referring to stickburners who begin cooking on kamados. They don't complain about smoke while using offsets. They complain once moving to kamados about how to achieve the same level of smoke.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

Maybe not a complaint but stickburner smoke profile in meat is unsurpassed.

I switched to a Kamado so I could resume my normal life while cooking brisket and ribs, which is to say sitting in a LazyBoy recliner in a climate controlled environment while watching HD bigscreen TV with a beer in hand, instead of being a slave to the firebox on my stickburner when it's 105 outdoors.

Do I miss the pale blue smoke flavor, yes I do.

Do I miss suffering from heat stroke at around 8 hours into a brisket cook?

No, I don't.

You cant beat a true pit for smoking.

Bought a Mac II star and while it turns out some great BBQ with damn near zero effort it still doesnt compare to a true stick burner.

I know, sometimes I still want to feed the fire for three or four hours, then I remember the next three or four, or five or six hours...

And trying to find properly seasoned oak AND storing it someplace where it won't get rained on so the rats, mice and wood roaches that will move into it will be comfortable...

7 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I know, sometimes I still want to feed the fire for three or four hours, then I remember the next three or four, or five or six hours...

And trying to find properly seasoned oak AND storing it someplace where it won't get rained on so the rats, mice and wood roaches that will move into it will be comfortable...

I hear ya.

Stick burners while turning out great BBQ are a royal pain in the ###.

Even since I installed gas on the Pitts and Spitts so I could get some shuteye on those long brisket smokes it's still a lot of work.

It wasn't so bad when I was doing competition Qing since you had multiple people that could watch the fire but going it alone is a sumbitch.

.......as I eye old rusty and ponder doing a brisket. 

Edited by Tex

On 12/30/2018 at 4:48 PM, Chasdev said:

Maybe not a complaint but stickburner smoke profile in meat is unsurpassed.

I switched to a Kamado so I could resume my normal life while cooking brisket and ribs, which is to say sitting in a LazyBoy recliner in a climate controlled environment while watching HD bigscreen TV with a beer in hand, instead of being a slave to the firebox on my stickburner when it's 105 outdoors.

Do I miss the pale blue smoke flavor, yes I do.

Do I miss suffering from heat stroke at around 8 hours into a brisket cook?

No, I don't.

Thats the very reason I only break out the stick burner in the winter.

Start a fire in the pre burn pit and sit around it trying not to drink too much while I feed the box.

This of course almost doubles your wood consumption but who doesn't like sitting around a fire and drinking?

On 12/30/2018 at 5:07 PM, KismetKamado said:

I have that same problem - and my biggest issue that this is one thing the husband is interested in as well..... so that is double trouble.  LOL.  

Be careful what you ask for. The amount of added work is no joke on long cooks. Stick-Burner = No Sleep

On 12/31/2018 at 7:01 PM, Tex said:

Thats the very reason I only break out the stick burner in the winter.

Start a fire in the pre burn pit and sit around it trying not to drink too much while I feed the box.

This of course almost doubles your wood consumption but who doesn't like sitting around a fire and drinking?

Now, I cooked year round on the SB but the winter cooking is the #1 I moved to the Kamado. The reduction in work load was just a pleasant and welcome surprise.

I opened this thread hoping to see pictures of stick burners.... No dice, so I had to go on the Jambo Facebook group.

As much as I'd love a fine stick burner, I just don't want to do the work. I would have to be making commercial proportions of meat to even justify the labor and capacity of a stick burner worthy of such a task. That said, I find the smoke profile of my Big Joe to be just fine and everyone who eats my bbq agrees. I use a moderate amount of quality smoke wood in a hot fire. I keep the bottom vent fully open and the top vent is where the magic happens. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

I opened this thread hoping to see pictures of stick burners.... No dice, so I had to go on the Jambo Facebook group.

As much as I'd love a fine stick burner, I just don't want to do the work. I would have to be making commercial proportions of meat to even justify the labor and capacity of a stick burner worthy of such a task. That said, I find the smoke profile of my Big Joe to be just fine and everyone who eats my bbq agrees. I use a moderate amount of quality smoke wood in a hot fire. I keep the bottom vent fully open and the top vent is where the magic happens. 

Get a pellet grill instead.

16 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

I am totally satisfied with the smoke profile of my BJ also. But, it was after much trial and error to get to a level of smoke I was watisfied with. I've never had much success with trying to open my bottom vent all the way and maintaing any reasonable temp. I guess it all boils down to how the fire is being lit. Jambo's are like the BMW's. As much as I want a Yoder, I think I'm still going to wind up with a Shirley...

IMG_2435.jpg

p.s.- after renting a Traeger for a catering job, I also found the s.p. on the pellet grill to be too light :rofl:

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

36 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I am totally satisfied with the smoke profile of my BJ also. But, it was after much trial and error to get to a level of smoke I was watisfied with. I've never had much success with trying to open my bottom vent all the way and maintaing any reasonable temp. I guess it all boils down to how the fire is being lit. Jambo's are like the BMW's. As much as I want a Yoder, I think I'm still going to wind up with a Shirley...

IMG_2435.jpg

p.s.- after renting a Traeger for a catering job, I also found the s.p. on the pellet grill to be too light :rofl:

that is a beauty!

19 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Be careful what you ask for. The amount of added work is no joke on long cooks. Stick-Burner = No Sleep

Now, I cooked year round on the SB but the winter cooking is the #1 I moved to the Kamado. The reduction in work load was just a pleasant and welcome surprise.

I used my stick burner year around in my younger days.

It just gets too freaken hot in the summer in southeast Texas for me me anymore.

I use the Mac 2 star in the summer with the remote so I can hang in the A/C.

Edited by Tex
spelling error

18 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

While a stick burner is more work you can alleviate the issue by installing a gas burner so you can take a break and still hold temp.

I have this unit in an older model.

image.png.1dc9024f49b39302414d3bc4e59b942a.png

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

IMG_2435.jpg

Thats a nice rig!!!

I just dont cook for crowds much anymore and that would be way overkill!!!

18 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Get a pellet grill instead.

I really like my Mac 2 star.

It turns out perfect Q even if it's a little lite on the smoke profile.

But...........CLEANING THE THING SUCKS!!!!!