Tex

Question for Kamado/Stick burner users.

I had a chance to see this grill first hand at the Klose factory this past October. I was told that the Faucets

dispense Jack Daniels NICE! I own a back yard smoker and a Santa Maria / Santa Fe style

grill, both from Klose and they are great adjuncts to the Kamados. I do enjoy stoking the fire and set a day

aside for low and slow cooks with the offset. Hey - If Fire and Danger is involved - Men will cook.

Alcohol may also be included - Hold my beer and watch this -  LOL!!! I think that using the right tool for the

job is good advice. For me, low and slow works great on the offset, oven and grill cooks work fine on the

Kamado and the Sanaa Fe / Santa Maria grill is starting to become a Go-To for some cooks. This is kind

of like pellet grills are becoming additions to some Kamado cookers. Bottom line for me is -  What ever works

for you and gives you the results you enjoy, savor, tastes best, etc. - use it. Keep it fun and creative. Enjoy!

BTW Dave Klose makes some really nice pits and well known in BBQ circuits.

https://bbqpits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/bling_bling.pdf

15 hours ago, Tex said:

I really like my Mac 2 star.

It turns out perfect Q even if it's a little lite on the smoke profile.

But...........CLEANING THE THING SUCKS!!!!!

I dunno about the mac. It takes three minutes to clean my traeger.

6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I dunno about the mac. It takes three minutes to clean my traeger.

It takes me around twenty minutes to clean the Mac,and thats just a basic clean up.

I pull the grill grates and put em on the Fire Magic gas grill to burn off the gunk,pull the diffuser plate and scrape all the crap off,remove the lower section that holds the diffuser,shop vac the firepot and innards and clean the drip pan.

I'm used to the stick burner where all ya have to do is get it good and hot,open the spigot to drain the grease and scrub down the grill surface.

If the Mak didnt turn out such good Q I'd get rid of it.

Edited by Tex

On 1/3/2019 at 1:51 PM, freddyjbbq said:

that is a beauty!

the most impressive thing about these grills is the welds– like butter, as if a robot laid them. It also used to be the price of them. I really wish I had jumped on them early. Could have had one on the cheap. But, I am happy to see they've raised their prices. I didn't think the business could survive long term at the pricing when they started out.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, Tex said:

Thats a nice rig!!!

I just dont cook for crowds much anymore and that would be way overkill!!!

This would be my version of a Komodo Kamado. Others have three four five plus Kamados, I'd just have the Big Joe and this monstrosity. My adult toy and companion to my Hennessey Camaro

:rofl:

4 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

This would be my version of a Komodo Kamado. Others have three four five plus Kamados, I'd just have the Big Joe and this monstrosity. My adult toy and companion to my Hennessey Camaro

:rofl:

That guy is just down the road from me!

Thinking about a blower for my Tundra and he'd be the installer.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

I need to check the thermo on the KJ.

Did a rack of baby backs and the thermo read perfect yet the thermoworks read a little high.

They came out way to tender!!

Looks like I'm gonna have some real McRib sandwiches tonight.

Just another learning experience on the Joe. 

I find temperatures vary depending where I put the probes (Maverick 733). My usual set-up is one in a grate clip near the center, the other dangling in the exit vent. The dome reading is usually equal to or a little lower than the exit vent, like 240 vs. 250F. The grate is usually lower due to cold food, getting closer to the others as the cook progresses. 

I expect your KJ thermometer will prove accurate. I see enough agreement not to question mine. 

Great smoke line, by the way!

Have fun,

Frank