Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

Prime Grade Rotisserie PR

For Christmas I did a Rotisserie PR using @keeperovdeflame's method. 250* with no sear. Turned out fantastic and still had a nice crust even without a sear.

I started with a small bone in USDA Prime Grade rib roast that had the bones partially cut off and tied back on. It's always a bit scarey cooking a really expensive cut of meat especially when trying a new method but I trust keepers advice so I carried on with the plan. 

pr2.thumb.jpg.baf82c49c4180dc7212c99a3de1cba0a.jpg

I tied it with a couple more strings mainly to get it a more uniform shape. I used A1 Thick and Zesty steak sauce as a binder then rubbed it down. 

pr3.thumb.jpg.5fd426e4e357b68d63351fe979f50115.jpg

Here it is loaded into the rotisserie basket. You can see the Meater + probe sticking out of the roast. 

pr4.thumb.jpg.8a9908896d88a38cf597b99ca3382dcc.jpg

Happily spinning away in the 19" KK at 250*. This was the lowest temp I've ever run the rotisserie. You can see my semi indirect sizzle diffuser down below the roast. 

pr7.thumb.jpg.8f6441aa2a59f361f363cebaa875b50b.jpg

The Meater + worked really well. This was the exact application that drove me to fund the kickstarter. Once it goes for a while the time remaining algorithm was spot on. This allowed for really easy timing of when to put the side dishes on. 

pr1.thumb.jpg.a63050a96a166d417a2b8fcc252becd8.jpg

Did a few side dishes on the Primo Oval Jr and 16" KK. Yup everyone needs more than one kamado. 

pr5.thumb.jpg.6040a983226949caeb0ca2b41d872e83.jpg

pr6.thumb.jpg.71d7bd869736a02d4daaf154392fce5d.jpg

Not the best money shot but it came out perfect and tasted fantastic. This will be my goto method for PR going forward. Thank you keeper for excellent advice. 

pr9.thumb.jpg.c58202963491341bf6ff8ce9497f05bf.jpg

Yes Sir, Mr. Buddy. That's what I'm talking about. Truly fine, fine, cook. The 250 temp kinda lets you sneak up on your target temp without creating a big ring of brown medium. Edge to Edge medium rare is the ticket, for sure. Love your sides as well, we actually did pretty much the same ones. I guess their traditional. I found this interesting, different take, sweet potato recipe: you slice the sweet  potatoes thin like poker chips and completely fill a baking dish with the chips like rows of stacked poker chips on edge, (they kinda resemble a hasselback potato, but are free standing) sprinkle with 5 Tbs chopped sage save a little back to use for garnish, at least 6 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 tsp coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper, and the kicker, 1 cup of heavy cream. It comes out like a savory sweet potato gratin. Very different flavor profile from the traditional sweet potato prep, but wow, really delicious and hearty enough to go with the PR.

6 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Yes Sir, Mr. Buddy. That's what I'm talking about. Truly fine, fine, cook. The 250 temp kinda lets you sneak up on your target temp without creating a big ring of brown medium. Edge to Edge medium rare is the ticket, for sure. Love your sides as well, we actually did pretty much the same ones. I guess their traditional. I found this interesting, different take, sweet potato recipe: you slice the sweet  potatoes thin like poker chips and completely fill a baking dish with the chips like rows of stacked poker chips on edge, (they kinda resemble a hasselback potato, but are free standing) sprinkle with 5 Tbs chopped sage save a little back to use for garnish, at least 6 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 tsp coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper, and the kicker, 1 cup of heavy cream. It comes out like a savory sweet potato gratin. Very different flavor profile from the traditional sweet potato prep, but wow, really delicious and hearty enough to go with the PR.

There you went and did it. Gave me something new to try next year - LOL 

On 12/27/2018 at 11:34 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

@keeperovdeflamehow long and what temperature do you cook it at?

On 12/27/2018 at 7:32 AM, ckreef said:

Happily spinning away in the 19" KK at 250*. This was the lowest temp I've ever run the rotisserie. You can see my semi indirect sizzle diffuser down below the roast. 

pr7.thumb.jpg.8f6441aa2a59f361f363cebaa875b50b.jpg

Beautiful PR ck, and an interesting rotisserie basket.   KK special?

3 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

@keeperovdeflamehow long and what temperature do you cook it at?

I'll answer this. As stated, the temp keeperovdeflame recommended was 250*. Mine took basically 2 hours to get to 125* internal. A larger roast might take a little more but not much. With a 10 minute rest final temp was 129* internal. That's a little on the rare side of md rare. Cooking meat low-n-slow the temp rises less during the rest compared to cooking meat at a higher temp. Next time I'll pull it at 130* which should yield a proper 135* md rare. 

Note: my family can deal with it on the rare side of md rare so this was perfect. Also when reheating meat that was cooked on the rare side of md rare your leftovers end up md if you don't over do it. And that is definitely acceptable for leftovers. 

3 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Beautiful PR ck, and an interesting rotisserie basket.   KK special?

That basket is a KK special. Dennis also offers a traditional rod/fork rotisserie setup I just haven't pulled the trigger on that yet but one day. 

1 hour ago, St1brew said:

Great job! Why can't prime rib be on sale for more than just the holiday season?

This was USDA Prime Grade PR. Nothing on sale about this chunk of meat. It was a little scarey cooking this expensive of a cut of meat. 

They had USDA Choice Grade PR for half of what this cost. I don't cook these very often so I splurged on the expensive Prime Grade. 

This whole situation is sort of a pet peeve of mine. At Christmas time all rib roasts are called prime rib when in fact most of them are really choice grade standing rib roasts. But it all depends on who's definition you're going by. 

5 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Everything looks like it turned out perfect!  And you’re right - definitely a necessity to have more than one kamado at times. ;)

TY KismetKamado it was tasty. Two kamados are a minimum requirement in my book. I used three for this cook and had number 4 (Akorn Jr) waiting in the wings just in case. 

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

This was USDA Prime Grade PR. Nothing on sale about this chunk of meat. It was a little scarey cooking this expensive of a cut of meat. 

They had USDA Choice Grade PR for half of what this cost. I don't cook these very often so I splurged on the expensive Prime Grade. 

This whole situation is sort of a pet peeve of mine. At Christmas time all rib roasts are called prime rib when in fact most of them are really choice grade standing rib roasts. But it all depends on who's definition you're going by. 

I understand, as I also bought the prime grade for my cook. It was "on sale" as were the choice grades at our local supermarket. I was simply stating that I'm more apt to splurge for the purchase, evan at a mere $2.00 off per pound. I was also nervous in cooking such an expensive piece of meat with a method I've never tried. I'm glad both of ours (and seemingly everyone on here) turned out great. Oh yeah and living in New England has me a jealous of your 61 degree outside temp....;-) 

2 hours ago, St1brew said:

Oh yeah and living in New England has me a jealous of your 61 degree outside temp....;-) 

LOL - I had to go back and look at that picture. Good catch. It's only dipped below freezing one or two nights so far this winter but I'm sure it's coming. Of course nothing like what you experience. 

19 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'll answer this. As stated, the temp keeperovdeflame recommended was 250*. Mine took basically 2 hours to get to 125* internal. A larger roast might take a little more but not much. With a 10 minute rest final temp was 129* internal. That's a little on the rare side of md rare. Cooking meat low-n-slow the temp rises less during the rest compared to cooking meat at a higher temp. Next time I'll pull it at 130* which should yield a proper 135* md rare. 

Note: my family can deal with it on the rare side of md rare so this was perfect. Also when reheating meat that was cooked on the rare side of md rare your leftovers end up md if you don't over do it. And that is definitely acceptable for leftovers. 

@ckreefThanks for the explanation.  But I should've paid more attention to what I quoted I was hoping to find out more about the sweet potatoes he was talking about.