Tex

Sous Vide vs. reverse sear

@KismetKamado

Yeah, but it's more the squashed look causing there to be less words per line. On my 24" monitor, the forum only takes up half the width of the screen. Assuming it's to optimize it for mobile viewing?

53 minutes ago, Walrus said:

@dirty6

Have you tried searing post-sous vide directly over charcoal, instead of on cast iron? Wondering if the wet exterior would crust up better over hot coals. I'm not talking about the crust/char marks that the grate makes, but the browning that occurs between from the hot coals below.

I have not, mostly bc I cant quite bring myself to spend an hour bringing the grill up to temp for a 2 minute sear...although I suppose it might not take an hour if I don’t need to fully heat soak the ceramics. Perhaps I will try that when the weather warms up. I don’t want to heat the grill up too rapidly in temps well below freezing. 

On 12/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, Tex said:

Used to love my sous vide steaks before trying the reverse sear method.

Anyone else bail on the sous vide method after the reverse sear?

I’ve had some great results with both methods. 

My interest in sous vide had quickly faded after a few runs. 

I am having the opposite experience, I like sous vide more and more for steaks. I season and sous vide to desired temp, take out steaks, dry with paper towel, season again and sear with ghee on a HOT cast iron pan.

I could do it all on the grill, but sous vide is so easy and consistent I prefer it. It is also frequent for us to cook for 6-12 people, so there are volume and consistency issues largely solved by sous vide.

33 minutes ago, gotzero said:

I am having the opposite experience, I like sous vide more and more for steaks. I season and sous vide to desired temp, take out steaks, dry with paper towel, season again and sear with ghee on a HOT cast iron pan.

I could do it all on the grill, but sous vide is so easy and consistent I prefer it. It is also frequent for us to cook for 6-12 people, so there are volume and consistency issues largely solved by sous vide.

The main reason I find the reverse sear better is it imparts more flavor when bringing the meat to temp.

I put em em in a 250 oven till they reach around 115 to 120. This takes around 30 minutes and is easy to monitor with temp probes.

Sear the crap out of em like you'd do with the sous vide. But you're ahead of the game when you already started the cooking process on the outside of the steak during the pre sear which makes searing much faster.

To me it mimics the charcoal grilled steak better than sous vide. 

I've done sous vide with good success with a large group.  Steaks just hung out in the hot tub until I was summoned to cook.  But I definitely like the flavor profile better with the reverse sear.  I have a potential large family gathering happening soon.  Thinking out loud.... what if I low and slowed the steaks in batches to about 120.  Then held the steaks in a sous vide bath until its feeding time and sear to finish?

No matter what you use to get a sear, starting with a dry surface is important. 

Also, reverse sear means searingat the end of the cook and is not a complete cooking process. You can cook on a grill and reverse sear, cook on a smoker and reversesear, cook in an oven and reverse sear, or cook sous vide and reverse sear.  This is as opposed to searing first and then finishing on a grill, smoker, oven, SV, etc.  

Other than a long smoke, I don’t think the slow cook portion imparts much flavor to a steak. It is mostly in the sear and seasoning.  How the fat renders and how tender the meat is will vary though.  Sous Vide really shines with a slightly tougher cut where you can use longer cook times to soften the meat up. I don’t love it as much for some steaks much on the rarer side of 130 due to the way the fat fails to render. For those the searing technique is more critical.