Guv

Noob from Philly

Hey Guys,

I purchased an Akorn Kamado style cooker this summer and stumbled across your site tonight. I have also owned a Weber Bullet style and Weber gas grill which I rarely touch since getting the Akorn.

I've been a Juvenile Probation Officer in Philadelphia for almost 30 years now.  Besides hanging in back years with family and friends, I coach multiple teams in soccer, all around the high school age.

I am looking forward to browsing the site and getting some fresh ideas and hopefully plenty of advice.

Thanks again for allowing me on your site.

Mike

Hey Jack, thanks for the warm welcome. As far as the job goes, I only make the recommendation.  It's you guys that have to ultimately decide where we go from there.  I never enjoy recommending removing a kid from his home but I sure don't envy having to make that that decision. I feel like you can never win.   

I have had several opportunities to leave for other jobs in including local police, US Customs and even a school disciplinarian but I do enjoy the ability to do both the court side of the job and the working the streets (home, schools, agencies, etc), but I'm still looking forward to retirement in the next few years.

Are you still sitting on the bench or are you now retired?

PS. Do I need to address you as "Your Honor" on this site? ;-)

Welcome to the forum Mike.  Like you, I had a Weber bullet before getting my egg style grill.  It made some great meals but was a real PITA to clean after.  It got sold 2 weeks after the new one arrived.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:05 PM, Guv said:

Hey Jack, thanks for the warm welcome. As far as the job goes, I only make the recommendation.  It's you guys that have to ultimately decide where we go from there.  I never enjoy recommending removing a kid from his home but I sure don't envy having to make that that decision. I feel like you can never win.   

I have had several opportunities to leave for other jobs in including local police, US Customs and even a school disciplinarian but I do enjoy the ability to do both the court side of the job and the working the streets (home, schools, agencies, etc), but I'm still looking forward to retirement in the next few years.

Are you still sitting on the bench or are you now retired?

PS. Do I need to address you as "Your Honor" on this site? ;-)

Jack is what my friends call me, if I'm lucky.  I retired 2 years ago today after almost 22 years of presiding over homicide, kidnapping, sexual assault, domestic and child abuse cases.  The ones involving kids as victims or defendants were always the hardest.

Welcome to KG.  We look forward to your contributions.

Hey Guv, great to have both you and your Akorn with us. Over the years, I have seen some truly amazing cooks come off an Akorn, so believe me, they can cook. Listening to you and my friend Jack, brought back memories. I wasn't in law enforcement but worked 30 years as a high school counselor , and then  a high school principal in and next to the hood in Paramount, Compton, and Hawaiian Gardens . I worked with kids my whole professional  life, my job was to make sure they learned to read and write and keep them out of your office and Jack's court room. Like you guys, sometimes successful sometimes not. But looking  back, I can't see myself doing anything else. Again Glad to have you with us. Grace and Peace.