Tex

6. Nnank76

Nnank76

7. freddyjbbq

freddyjbbq

• Similar Content

• By TheGHole
      Hey everyone!

Made these gorgeous pork belly tacos tonight and would love to share how I did them.  I was going for some Mexican and Asian flavors, and couldn't have been happier with the result.  The only issue at all was a light spot on the pork due to liquid pooling there during the cook because the belly was a bit big for my standard Joe and I had to scrunch it a little.

PORK BELLY
      1.  I brined it for about 14 hours in a mix of pineapple juice, teriyaki, and soy sauce after scoring the fat sight relatively deeply
      2.  Dried the belly and rubbed it with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub on all sides
      3.  Smoked on Kamado Joe at 240 with some cherry wood to add a light fruity smoke favor (no wrapping because I wanted some meaty bite in the taco)
      4.  When I had internals around 185, I glazed the belly and cooked for another 20ish minutes
      5.  Broiled the belly inside for 2 minutes to tighten up the glaze and crisp the fat even more
      6.  Rested the meat for about 40 minutes (should have gone longer but people were too hungry :D )

GLAZE
      1.  Mix together raw honey, soy sauce, salt, worcestershire sauce, peach preservers (wanted pineapple to go with the brine but couldn't find it), apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, black pepper, hot bone sucking bbq sauce, and some secret super hot scotch bonnet hot sauce I bought in Anguilla.  All of this is unmeasured and I mixed to taste.
      2.  Simmer on the stove until the mixture reduces a bit and thickens up, allow to cool off the heat

TOPPINGS
      1.  Home made guacamole (avocado, lots of lime, onion, kosher salt, pepper, cilantro)
      2.  Home made Chipotle Crema (sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, adobo sauce, kosher salt)
      3.  Grilled pineapple on the same grates I cooked the pork on
      4.  Cojita Cheese
      5.  Cilantro
      6.  Home made pickled onions (red onion, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, sugar, water)

Please enjoy the pictures, and as usual, ask any questions!

• By DerHusker
      I saw this package of Wild Caught Ono filets for a good price at Costco and decided to put it in my cart.

Ono is the Hawaiian name for what we call Wahoo in Mexican waters. Here’s a picture of one.

It’s a delicious tasting white fleshed fish. I’ve never had the pleasure to catch one but it’s one of the most sought-after game fish. It’s something like a cross between a Tuna and a Barracuda but with the size of a tuna and is one of the fastest fish in the ocean. I thawed out a couple of filets and then coated them with some Tajin seasoning.

I let them marinate for a couple of hours while I prepared others things for my tacos. Once Jr. was 400 degrees I put the filets on for approximately 2 minutes per side. (They were triangular so that was 3 sides)

Here they are plated up on some corn tortillas with red & green cabbage, onion, cilantro, avocado salsa, avocado slices, some Mexican Creama and a Modelo.

Muy Bueno!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Carne Asada Tacos are one of my favorite things to make and eat. I make them at least once a month and sometimes many more than that. Today I started by making a fresh batch of Pico de Gallo.

Recipe is here:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/31022-pico-de-gallo-my-way/?tab=comments#comment-414993

I then took a package of marinated skirt steak

and cut it into manageable sizes and placed it on the kamado.

I cooked it approximately 6 minutes per side until it developed a little char on it and here is the result.

I cut these up into taco size pieces across the grain and made up 3 tacos served with Negra Modelo, some sliced radish and a grilled yellow pepper.

Muy Delicioso!

• By DerHusker
      This is one of my favorite fast meals. I buy this seasoned skirt steak at Costco.

Fire up the grill. Cut the skirt steak into more manageable pieces

and cook them up until they just start to get some char on them.

Bring them in

and cut each piece across the grain into taco size pieces.

Serve on fresh (and warmed) tortillas with Mexican cheese and fresh made Pico de Gallo.

Pure deliciousness!
      Thanks for looking
    • By DerHusker
      Father’s day was a hot day out here in So (Lo) Cal. I wanted to cook something different but something both the wife and MIL would eat as well. Flap meat is a lesser known cut of beef although it’s fairly popular here in the So (Lo) Cal area. Many markets sell it thinly sliced plain

or pre-seasoned for carne asada. They slice it thin so it cooks fast and you gets a nice crust / char on it.

I wanted something a little different that the normal way they sell it,  so I had the butcher bring me a whole one from the back. (It looks a lot like skirt steak but with a larger grain to the meat)

I made up some of my carne asada marinate. (See link for recipe
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/27158-carne-asada-street-tacos/#comment-363886)

Un-packaged the meat. Notice the way the grain is running.      

Trimmed it up and cut it into more manageable pieces. I cut these with the grain as I’ll be cutting it into taco size pieces across the grain once it’s cooked.

Gave these a bath and massaged all around

and then placed it into a 1 gallon zip-loc for a 4 to 6 hour get to know each other rest.

While it was marinating I made up some Avocado Tomatillo salsa. Here are the ingredients:

Everything in the salsa blender and gave it a good spin.

I usually break out the Weber on fast cooks like this and did so again. Placed most the meat over the coals

and alternated the pieces to give each a nice char.

While it was cooking I heated up some tortillas.

Meat is ready

so I sliced it up against the grain. I did some well dome for the wife

and some medium for myself.

I then set up my Taco Cart errrr Bar

and made 3 delicious tacos with some pickled red onions, a slice of water melon and a Negra Modelo.

Up the close up.

So delicious!
      Thanks for looking.