Sign in to follow this  
TiCoyote

Flare-ups with Chicken Thighs

I've been getting a lot of flare-ups with chicken thighs on my AKORN.  Last week, I started with a clean grill (I let it go at around 550-600 for 20 min after the previous cook), I put in the smokin stone, heated the grill to 500, then I put 10 thighs on the grill.  I cooked one side for 20 min, and flipped them.  I went to check on them 15min later, and there was a lot of white smoke coming out, and a big fireball inside.  

Am I putting too much fatty meat on the grill at once?  Should I try doing fewer pieces at a time? 

17 hours ago, TiCoyote said:

I find that the skin doesn't get crispy at 400. 

Try  salting the thighs and letting them  set uncovered in the fridge for a couple hours before you put them on the grill. I cook mine at 400 / 450 no real flare ups and I get wonderful crispy skin. Dry skin at the start of the cook, in my experience anyway, seems to be the ticket. 

I don't believe that it is very popular on here, but I would suggest looking into a Vortex for chicken cooks. I made a bootleg version by cutting the bottom out of a stainless steel mixing bowl and I don't cook chicken any other way now. The dome therm will read 400 and the skin is perfect every time. I cooked at the same temp with the regular indirect set up and never got the results I get with my bootleg vortex. 

So I tried it the "old way" on my Weber Kettle.  I loaded charcoal into the chimney.  Lit and let it burn for 15 min.  Dumped the coal on one side and dropped a handful of hickory chips on top.  Immediately put the chicken on the cool side of the grill.  Cooked it for 25 min.  Flipped the chicken and cooked for another 20 min.  

Perfect crispy skin, juicy meat.  No flare-ups.  

I used an ambient thermometer, just for information purposes, and it looks like the temp started around 350, climbed to close to 500, and then crept back down to 400.  

I guess I could try 400 on the Kamado again, but I'm not sure what I really achieve by using the AKORN over the Weber.  The AKORN takes longer to heat up, and it's harder to add wood chips or chunks with the heat deflector in place.  

The AKORN is great for slow cooks and pizza.  With an upper-level grate, I can do steak on it, but not necessarily better than my Weber.  Salmon is about the same.  

thumbnail (6).jpg

On 12/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, TiCoyote said:

I find that the skin doesn't get crispy at 400. 

I have no problem getting crispy skin at 400. Then again like keeperoftheflame stated I season mine at least 12 hrs before they go on the grill.

16 hours ago, TiCoyote said:

So I tried it the "old way" on my Weber Kettle.  I loaded charcoal into the chimney.  Lit and let it burn for 15 min.  Dumped the coal on one side and dropped a handful of hickory chips on top.  Immediately put the chicken on the cool side of the grill.  Cooked it for 25 min.  Flipped the chicken and cooked for another 20 min.  

Perfect crispy skin, juicy meat.  No flare-ups.  

I used an ambient thermometer, just for information purposes, and it looks like the temp started around 350, climbed to close to 500, and then crept back down to 400.  

I guess I could try 400 on the Kamado again, but I'm not sure what I really achieve by using the AKORN over the Weber.  The AKORN takes longer to heat up, and it's harder to add wood chips or chunks with the heat deflector in place.  

The AKORN is great for slow cooks and pizza.  With an upper-level grate, I can do steak on it, but not necessarily better than my Weber.  Salmon is about the same.  

thumbnail (6).jpg

The Weber kettle can put out some fantastic chicken too.  I would use whatever works best for you.  Grilling should be about good food and fun.  There are many ways to get there.