Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

Konro Sized Skewers

Yesterday me and Mrs skreef went to Fireside Outdoor Kitchens in Augusta GA (a most excellent BBQ accessory store). While there I spied up some skewers that looked to be the right size for my Konro grill. A quick call home to get my son to measure my current skewers and up on the checkout counter they went. 

On the left is my current Todd English custom cut skewers with a single 1/4 turn clamp installed. To the right is the new Weber skewers. The 1/4 turn clamp fits perfectly. They are a touch longer than the Todd English skewers but still a very acceptable length. In the middle is two more 1/4 turn clamps. I'll order me another set of the Weber skewers so I have a complete 12 skewer set. 

ws1.thumb.jpg.ecfa5d4f6527e70ce784ad281a8c5c30.jpg

ws2.thumb.jpg.3794a36a5e0c8027b7b61e525d6920ec.jpg

10 skewers loaded loaded up with chicken. Note the different color sweet peppers loaded at the front and back. That serves 2 purposes. 1, keeps the chicken off the walls of the Konro and 2, color codes what type of marinade is on each skewer. Orange pepper skewers is the butcher shops house teriyaki marinade. Yellow pepper skewers are a mystery Japanese marinade. Why a mystery marinade you ask? Because I can't read Japanese so I don't know exactly what was in that pouch from my refrigerator. Tasted pretty good so I went for it. 

ws3.thumb.jpg.41f05f979de56899b7a9a35d2d62735d.jpg

Here they are sizzling away. Skewers stick over just enough so I can turn and move them around without a hot mitt. 

ws4.thumb.jpg.a532ed5235d39e46d821b2d653e9123b.jpg

Nice ckreef!

I like to use the grill screens that came with it. That way I can turn them on all sides for even cooking. I use the flat wooden skewers. I've tried it without the screens and it works ok but I prefer to use the screens. The first set rusted out and I ordered 2 more sets. Then I was in Lowes and saw a weber replacement grate for one of their gas grills that looked like it would work perfectly. It's expandable and is the perfect length and width. 

Its a heavy duty SS grill. I mean heavy duty. I paid $30 for it but I think it will last forever. I wasn't really thrilled with using the regular grates as they are made of galvanized. Not sure how healthy it is to cook on galvanized.

Anyway I will take a few pics and post them. I have yet to use it but I think it will work great. The Konro is the grill that gets the most use nowadays. Followed by the BS griddle. I love my Konro.

@landscaper nice grates. Will have to look for them next time I'm in Lowes. I could see using that setup. I never liked the original screens. I do like the steel bars I have that raises things up just a touch. I've used the flat wooden skewers before but like you said doesn't allow for 1/4 turns. Those square metal clamps pictured gives me 1/4 turns.

I have the longer Konro so I can see using that grate you pictured on one end cooking Scallops while using straight skewers on the other end for steak kabobs. If I didn't have a pork butt on the grill for tonight's dinner I'd be tempted to run to town and see if I could find that setup. 

I use the Konro a fair amount and my griddle a lot. With the chicken skewers pictured from last night I also had Squash and mushrooms cooking on the griddle. 

Another slight annoyance I had when using the screens....they would slide around because of how light they are. Minor annoyance. But these things are thick and heavy. I think these will solve that issue for me. One more plus is they will sit slightly higher above the fire and hold more heat for when the fire is dying down allowing for a slightly longer cook session. Cleaning should be easier also. I was really surprised how heavy duty they are. I did see somewhere (don't remember where) when looking for replacement screens...a set that were SS. I think they were like $40 or $50. I don't remember. They weren't cheap. 

Anyway get one. I think you'll like it. Can't wait to try them out.

Happy New Year to you and Yours! 

Those skewers look awesome. I went nuts with a variety of bamboo ones but I am going to order these too.

I use the screens for scallops. I agree they move easily. I considered welding up a grate with a lower lip that was konro opening size to prevent movement, but it turns out for this grill I want the thin wires.