dayan

Hello from Melbourne

Hello from Melbourne. Middle aged novice griller. have a gas Webber then moved to a offset Traeger and am now trying for direct charcoal grilling with an Akorn Junior. Any tips on how to build a fire to get high temps? 

Welcome to the forum dayan.  I don't have an Akorn so wouldn't be the right person to talk specifics.  In general, use a full load of charcoal and then get it started with a couple of fire starters to get a good amount of the coal lit quickly.  Then go wide open on all the vents and your grill will get hot pretty quick.  Use the dome thermometer and start dialing down the top and bottom vents when the temperature gets to 10% of what your trying to achieve.  Example:  If your shooting for 500F, start adjusting the top and bottom vents at about 450.  It's going to take some practice so be patient.  Best of luck

Smaller chunks will also burn hotter than fewer, larger pieces of charcoal.

Welcome to the club from a Canadian Akorn nut! Remember, we will need to see photos of your cooks in order to validate your parking.

Welcome to the Guru there are a lot of great people and information around here.   I agree with the posts above about getting high temp but would add don't walk away from your grill when doing this.  It will go thermonuclear before you know it and that's not a situation you want to be in.  Also make sure you burn the grill before you open it especially if you've had a hot fire and your trying to bring your temperatures down to do something else. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SuperJohnG
      Hi all, 

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm from Scotland. 

I've always loved BBQing, however here in Scotland normally we can't get it the BBQ out so much due to the terribly wet weather here on the west coast of Scotland. However this year has been good and I've been looking for a new BBQ. I was currently using an old open grill handed down to me by my father in law, but have been looking at a new kettle unit but decided they just weren't what I wanted.

Hence I have  taking the (huge) plunge and just ordered myself a Kamado Joe classic II. Living somewhere where it mostly rains this is basically a ludicrous purchase..however I am determined I will use it all year round. In fact I've told my better half we can't use the oven for the next 6 months just so I can justify the cost!

I also ordered, Beer can chicken holder, Pizza stone, calzone press, looflighter and based on recommendations on here..a thermoworks smoke. 

I love american style BBQ food and smoked foods, so hoping I will be able to recreate some of that goodness here! I also bought the Hot coals Kamado book, hoping its decent ..I have seen the meathead book. But felt I might leave that for a few months until I have honed my technique. 

thanks! 
    • By Bgosnell151
      Today's cook went much better than yesterday's.  The food turned out fantastic.  I did a tri tip and then 20 burgers and 20 dogs.  Here is the tri tip cook...

• By Bgosnell151
      Well, did my first cook on my new KJ Classic.  It went pretty well, but I think I put the food on too early from when I lit it.  I was able to hold the temps at 405* very steady.  Once I got to 120*, I pulled the steaks and opened it up to get the temps up.  Got it to about 600* and put the steaks back on.  They did have a bit of a creasote taste to them, which is why I think I put them on to early.  Not sure the KJ lump was burning clean enough yet.  Am I wrong on why I got the bitterness?  Pics below:

• By TheDreadedChicken
      Hi all,
      Been lurking for a while, appreciate all the expertise here. 

My Akorn arrived yesterday and I'm all set to cook a few racks of baby back ribs for some guests tomorrow. After looking at a bunch of recipes and YouTube videos, here's my game plan:

1. Dry rub and put ribs on @275 for 1.5 hours
      2. Wrap in foil with a little pineapple juice and back on for 45 min
      3. Unwrap and baste and cook for 20-30 min to finish 

any suggestions?

also, I don't have any lump hardwood, only hickory chips. How should I manage that?

thanks!
    • By NomNomNom
      Hello,
      I just got my Akorn JR and I'm excited to join the community and make some delicious food.  I was originally looking for the full sized model but based on the timing and missed sales, I decided I'd just pick up a JR and learn how to use that and then grab a full sized Akorn when they are on sale next year .  After my first attempt at pizza which burned to crisp and some further reading on the forum (temperature way too hot) I think I'm ready to give it another try.  Since my wife and I are trying to start low carb to drop a few lbs, I am hoping I can get a lot of use out of this little grill.