lotosmoke

Vacuum Sealers

Our original Food Saver from Costco bit the dust after 10+ years of use. I think it was a 550.

We replaced it with another from Costco  - an FM2100 - about a year ago and it does a fine

job. The heater / sealing bar is wider than the earlier model and it seems to take a little longer

to seal things. Another plus is that it stores a roll of bag material internally and has a cutting bar and

blade while the earlier model did not. Price was around $100.

I really enjoy my  chamber machine.  Expensive and heavy but worth every penny for what we use it for.  It gets  used quite often.  It especially gets a work out when I make sausage, bacon, cold cuts, and storing the pulled pork and brisket cooks.  And for the leftovers from large meal cooks to have for a quick meal later on.  Plus lots of other uses.  Simple to use and great for items with a high liquid content.   I also use it for vacuum marinading meat.  After the initial cost of the machine, the vacuum bags for a chamber machine are a lot cheaper than those for a  Food Saver style unit and are available in heavier gauges/thicknesses.  

A lot of the decision process (cost aside) is what the machine will be used for, how often it will be used and where it can be placed in the home/work area as a "fixed" unit versus a portable style. 

I have a Cabela's Professional sealer that I've had for a couple years, though not as old as the one posted above, and not as new as those shown on the Cabela's website. Admittedly, I've not given it a hard work but it's been great so far.

I have the Cabela’s 15 commercial grade sealer.  It’s not the Weston but a steal at half the price.  I got for a Super bargin at half price during a Halloween sale. 

I wanted something that could vacuum seal a brisket.  You’re not going to find a better bang for your buck on a 15 inch model.

On 1/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, Brick Pig said:

Another member of the Food Saver tribe, here. Borrowed mine so often from a former neighbor that she finally told me just to keep it and she’d borrow it back if/when she needs it. She hasn’t asked once in over three years now. 

To bad she didn't have a chamber sealer.:-D 

Food Saver here too.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, ske1eter said:

I have a Cabela's Professional sealer that I've had for a couple years, though not as old as the one posted above, and not as new as those shown on the Cabela's website. Admittedly, I've not given it a hard work but it's been great so far.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:27 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

I have the Cabela’s 15 commercial grade sealer.  It’s not the Weston but a steal at half the price.  I got for a Super bargin at half price during a Halloween sale. 

I wanted something that could vacuum seal a brisket.  You’re not going to find a better bang for your buck on a 15 inch model.

I like the manual seal of the Cabelas sealers and I also like the 1/4 inch weld. I used to have a Foodsaver, but the weld was too thin and leaked quite a bit.

14 hours ago, Duck9601 said:

I like the manual seal of the Cabelas sealers and I also like the 1/4 inch weld. I used to have a Foodsaver, but the weld was too thin and leaked quite a bit.

The newest version of the Cabela Commercial sealer was a huge leap forward.  They only thing they need to fix is adding an override to the default auto setting.  The Blue status bar that tells you when you have removed all the air from the bag is by far the most handy feature on the unit.  The blue status bar is super useful when sealing Umia bags for dry aging.  

I'm heading into Vacuum Chamber sealers next purchase.  Sealing liquids, and the inexpensive bags are bonus material all the way.  I'm on my second vacuum sealer now and the cost of bags is starting to add up.