TrimbleT

Lump Charcoal

That's the sort of question which often leads to fistfights. :)

I'm usually stocked with a few bags each of Royal Oak, Kamado Joe, and Rockwood.

Lot's of brands out there and I haven't tried them all so I'm sure other folks will list some others as "the best".

1 hour ago, TrimbleT said:

What are the best lump charcoal brands available?

The one that's in the bag beside your grill ready to go.  All lump charcoals work fine.  You will develop your preferences as you go probably but don't sweat the charcoal.  

I've used KJ Big Block, Royal Oak, and Fogo black and have yellow bag on standby. IMO, KJ Big Block is too big for the classic joe unless I mix it and some smaller chunks from another bag. I'm afraid Fogo yellow will be the same size chunks. Right now Fogo black bag and RO are my go to''s.

While we're on the topic, can someone share their experiences with "Jealous Devil" lump. I liked what they had to say about sustainability on their website and may give it a go. In particular, my wife is sensitive to a heavy smoke/charcoal flavor so I'm interested in opinions on that. 

@psych - for folks not looking to gain a more smokey taste from the charcoal itself I suggest you look at Rockwood. It is probably the most neutral "flavor" of charcoal available. It is more neutral (less smokey) because it is fired to a higher degree of carbonization than other brands. That means there are lesser amounts of the volatile organic compounds to burn off while cooking.

It used to have somewhat limited regional availability but it is now available nationwide thru Ace Hardware stores.  It may also be carried by independent stores and you can check their website for dealers nearby. If there are no Ace Hardware stores in your area you can order it from their website.