Monolith Owners

Cajun_Kamado

Looks like you are getting a great grill. Since I am not a big fan of connecting everything I own to the internet, there are some features of this grill that I would not care for.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your cooks on this grill and hearing how you like it.

I was able to check out a Monolith in person at a local BBQ store this weekend.  They also had the BGE and Joe lineup in store as well.  IMO the Monolith felt like it had the best build quality of them all!  It feels really solid and the fit/finish on the bands and hinge are really nice.  I was also toying with picking up one of them during this last 10% off sale but happened to find a great deal on a leftover KJ Classic I at Lowes. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Cajun_Kamado said:

Well, my Monolith arrived yesterday and it was damaged. I sent it back and will have to wait another week for my Kamado.

That's a small bummer but all good things come to those who wait. Can't wait to see some pictures once it arrives. 

• 5 months later...

Monolith owner here aswell!

On 1/3/2019 at 12:25 AM, gorilla83 said:

They also had the BGE and Joe lineup in store as well.  IMO the Monolith felt like it had the best build quality of them all!  It feels really solid and the fit/finish on the bands and hinge are really nice.

This was the reason why Monolith became a serious contender for me.

• 10 months later...

Hi all !!

I just started , two weeks, with Monolith Classic Pro 1 , black.  

I have a question, how can I clean the grease trays (stainless steel semicircle ones)  ? I'm not able to clean they using detergent for pots. I know I had to add tinfoil before, but I thought i can clean they.

thx in advance.

Stefano

• 1 month later...

On 6/3/2020 at 2:51 PM, Campa said:

Hi all !!

I just started , two weeks, with Monolith Classic Pro 1 , black.  

I have a question, how can I clean the grease trays (stainless steel semicircle ones)  ? I'm not able to clean they using detergent for pots. I know I had to add tinfoil before, but I thought i can clean they.

thx in advance.

Stefano

Kinda difficult to clean properly.  Best bet is get the BBQ screaming hot (350ish C) and let it sit at that for a bit.  Burns all the grease away and just leaves carbon which you can scrape off.  Have had some success also putting mine in the dishwasher

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 4:18 PM, Aj89 said:

Kinda difficult to clean properly.  Best bet is get the BBQ screaming hot (350ish C) and let it sit at that for a bit.  Burns all the grease away and just leaves carbon which you can scrape off.  Have had some success also putting mine in the dishwasher

Thank you Aj89 ,  I read that inox steel can be ruined over 350° C. Is it true ? Yours has not been ruined at that temperature ? 

I will try with dishwasher .

Bye

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys any advice or issues experienced with the monoliths over long term? Very close to purchasing a LE CHEF over a KJ. This is mainly because the monos are better priced and KJ having seriously supply issues here in Ireland!

what are they like as smokers, the the chip/pellet hatch a gimmick? 
the KJ air hinge does it make a difference? 

all advice welcomed! 

thanks 

• 1 month later...

After much comparison of Kamado features between the Kamado Joe Classic and the Monolith Pro, I decided to go for the Monolith Pro and have had great fun cooking on it over the summer.  Once I'd got the hang of the vents it's done a fantastic job on low and slow Pork Shoulder as well as ribs.  It's even done the Sunday roast a couple of times!

What really swung the decision for me was the fittings being stainless steel (rather than painted steel) which should make them more durable in the UK's damp climate.

As for the chute for feeding wood chips directly onto the charcoal, I've only used it a few times - I prefer to use larger chunks of wood when smoking and the hatch is sized only for chips and pellets.  That said the lifting system for the SMART grid (the Monolith version of KJ's "Divide and Conquer") works really well and it's straightforward enough to remove to add wood chunks or more fuel should you need to.

The lid is heavy but as it's spring assisted, I've not found it overly difficult to move.