RRL2

Pit boss top vent in cold climats issues.

So anyone here use their Kamado much in the cold months?

Im starting to REALLY dislike the style of chimney / top vent style of the pit boss through out the winter months.

The damn thing freezes Shut SOLID.  I need to use a torch on it to thaw it so it can break free. Getting worries that my adjustement tab will break sooner then later from prying on it to break it free.

I COULD clean it out and probably be ok.. however its finally got enough build up on it so it has a proper tight seal

Did you not get a cover with your Pit Boss?  I cover mine as soon as the dome temp drops below 150 and have never had this problem.  If you don't let it get wet, it can't freeze shut.  If you're using it in snowy weather, get a cheap chimney cap from the hardware store to keep precip off the top vent.

16 hours ago, scdaf said:

Did you not get a cover with your Pit Boss?  I cover mine as soon as the dome temp drops below 150 and have never had this problem.  If you don't let it get wet, it can't freeze shut.  If you're using it in snowy weather, get a cheap chimney cap from the hardware store to keep precip off the top vent.

Yea I got the cover.  I dont even leave mine outside I store it in my unheated garage once its shut down. 

I use an umbrella to cover it up if its snowing so it never usually gets wet.  the top vent seems to freeze up with the "sludge" build up you get over time.  I'd clean the sludge up which would help but the sludge helps keep a air tight seal

Wait until the felt gasket gets damp and the grill freezes shut!  I have had to remove the top vent to pour a chimney of lit coals in (and wait 40+ minutes) to get it open a few times. I have learned not to store anything in the grill during the winter so I have this option. 

damn glad i havent run into that issue yet where it freezes shut!  I usually just take a torch to the chimney and break it loose that way... more of an annoyance  then anything.  I  could get it cleaned up was just hoping there would be an alternate method vs loosing that tight seal with the build up.

guess its one more reason to push for a heater garage! 

i had tried letting it heat up with the lid closed. maybe I got too impatient but after about 5min it was still solid so took the torch to it.

I will say that its pretty gummed up as it is.... though I kind of like it like that as it now has a solid seal when i close it