Carlita

Carlita is on board with her new Kamado Joe Classic II!

Hi everyone, we just got a Kamado Joe Classic II.  My hubby is building a sweet outdoor kitchen on our patio which includes our new KJ.  Can't wait to fire it up which should be happening in about 2 weeks.  I'm reading everything I can and watching videos to help me get up to speed before the big debut. Would love to know what you all would recommend for the first cook, second and third.  So stoked to get rolling.   I'm the cook in the household and until now have only used a gas grill but I'm a pretty good cook (modest) and know I can nail this. Photos coming soon.................

Welcome Carlita, glad to have you and your new Joe with us. Make sure to post some pics of that sweet outdoor kitchen. As far as fist cooks go, my favorite recommendation is always a whole spatchcocked chicken ( get a small one about 2 1/2 lbs if you can find one) cut out the back bone with kitchen shears and press it flat. Heat your Joe to 375 indirect, and set up a drip pan below your main grate. Pull the bird at 165 in the breast (use a probe to check the internal temperature ( IT ). There is just  something special about kamado chicken that is truly amazing. I did a spatchcocked chicken years ago as my first kamado  cook. My wife's first words upon tasting my first kamado chicken were " Oh my God, you really cooked this?". Have fun with your new grill, outdoor kitchen, and the forum conversation as well. 

Here are some pic's of my Thanks Giving turkey so you can see how spatchcocking is done . Same process just a bigger bird. The spatchcocking process delivers a more evenly cooked bird off  the grill.  I make a paste out of good olive oil,  minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika,  orange zest, kosher salt and cracked pepper and rub it under the chickens lifted skin on the breast, thighs and legs. 

DSC_3530.thumb.jpg.49740df25f600152f3309e201049b0a8.jpg

DSC_3532.thumb.jpg.9b7f4012b97227d774151a5f403426af.jpg

DSC_3543.thumb.jpg.0979d4dbab7b26e0b2f82c34c57728f7.jpg

Tastes as good as it looks. By the way, that turkeys on a large BGE which is basically the same size as your Joe Classic II. So you now know a 13lb  spatchcocked turkey will fit on your new Joe. 

Good morning Carlita and welcome to a really great forum. I think you're really going to love cooking on your new KJ Classic and can assure you that you'll get all the help you need from the fine members here. Stay in touch and keep us posted on your progress.

Scant wait for pix of the outdoor kitchen, but there is no reason to wait!  Cook, even if it’s burgers!    Oh, and a pork butt is a good choice for a first low n slow. 

Congrats!