Does anyone have any experience with the Steak Locker

I know the kickstarter had its problems but now that its out and has been around for a few years(I am assuming since 2014) that any bugs are fixed.

Unfortunately, there is not to many reviews that I can find on it and only about 5 you tube videos and 4 of those should have been made into 1.

There are other options available but space in our kitchen fridge is not going to be an option .  buying a stand alone fridge and modifying it to a diy dry age locker may be an option but I am not to sure how you would exactly control the temp and humidity in those.

in the Steak Locker,  it has controls where you can set the temp and humidity and that would be a plus for me and that is where my concern is.  How accurate are their controls.  if you set the humidity to 70% can you be assured that is where it is going to stay?  That is what I can not find on any of the reviews I been reading(what few there is)

I know $1500. is a lot of money but so is a Kamado or any quality bbq

So if anyone has any personal experience with one I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts

Thank you

Paul

I've been looking at one as well,but there's very little info out there on them and the stuff I have found has been kinda negative.

The only one I've found that I feel I could trust is the Dry Ager but I'm not paying $2700 bucks.

https://www.dry-ager.com/en/

That Dry Ager sure looks nice but I’m with you. Too much money

I can’t do the math but I am not sure if I would live long enough to justify the cost over just going out Whole Foods and buying a dry aged steak a few times a year

After checking the prices to have a bone in ribeye dried at my local butcher the Wife and I are considering the Dry Ager.

I figure I've spent far more or the same for my Mak,my Fire Magic and my Pitts and Spitts.

So why not spend the same for something none of those units can do? Turn beef into gold no matter what I cook it on?

$2700 seems like a bargain when I look at it that way. How else do you turn a choice or select chunk of meat into a gem?

After further research I've found you can get the DX500 for $2100 but you need a 230v connection which will run me about $600 bucks to have installed.

Or you can order the DX 500 in a 110 volt system from the factory which will cost you the same.

Waiting to hear back from the manufacturer from Germany.....oh,the $2700 includes shipping and taxes.

Edited by Tex

Thise lockers look nice. It will make up your kitchen look like a resturant . If you decide to get it please post some pics

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Thise lockers look nice. It will make up your kitchen look like a resturant . If you decide to get it please post some pics

Unfortunately I dont have room for it in the kitchen.

It'll have to go in the laundry room. 

The latest on the German made Dry Ager......

Hi Todd,

thanks for your inquiry, a big hallo here from Germany - the headquarter of Dry Ager®

Welcome to the world of Dry Ager® - the most popular brand in Dry-Aging Solutions worldwide. Produce your own dry-aged beef, pork, lamb or game and use it additionally for ham and salami – you will just love it!

>Made in Germany
>Patented technology
>Award winning patented design
>More than 30 years of experience in meat cooling
>Expect the best and nothing else from the No. 1

At the moment we only produce units in 220-240 V voltage and also, we do not have the certificates (ULC and NSF certificate) regarding product-conformity for the USA + Canada available.

End of 2019, we will go seriously to your country, with a 110/120 V version, when everything is ready regarding certifications.

You can find at the moment all information regarding dimensions + prices online: https://www.dry-ager.com/en/product-category/all-products/

We will keep you updated for sure!

Decided to give up on the Dry Ager from Germany for the time being.

Not willing to wait a year in hopes they'll get the proper certs only to hear it'll be in 2020.

Loosely using this guys design and if all works well I wont bother with the Dry Ager from Germany if and when it's available in the U.S.

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

He put way too much effort into something very simple and basic. 

Dry aging isn't magic. 

Being the Guy I am I love jacking around with tech ####.

I made flight hardware for the NASA Shuttle Program, artificial hearts and some prototype work on the F-22 Raptor.......

I Admit......I over Analyze everything,especially when it comes to all types of cooking. I break it down to my infatuation with perfection.

Humidity and temperature fluctuate 

no Way to Calibrate humidity it’s as much as 20% off

No support at all and no replies you are on your own

humidity is set to 85 it goers as low as 60

look at fluctuations in temperature and Humidity 7E33B3E4-589B-4FF8-AF4A-FC03D5B80A78.thumb.jpeg.87643a9c1a640f0f1676c3e93253f4d1.jpeg5D8AAADF-5BE3-4AFC-8CB7-566E6D04D5C1.thumb.png.5728a2184091f685d88cc2843f631b3e.png