Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Smoked Maple Syrup

I am working on a new recipe and I thought it might be nicely finished off with a drizzle of smoked maple syrup.  I am on round 2 of trying to smoke it myself.  

20190105_Maple01.jpg

20190105_Maple02.jpg

20190105_Maple03.jpg

20190105_Maple04.jpg

The first batch was just over smoked. I used my standard oak/pecan/cherry pellets and let it cold smoke for 2 hours.  It still has a heavy smoke aroma after 4 days and the taste is a bit acrid.  It may settle down over time so I'll keep it and try it in another few weeks to see what happens with it.  

In the mean time I have smoked another batch this morning.  I used all the same parameters except I when with a basic Traeger cherry pellet for smoke and I cut the smoking time from 2 hours to 1 hour to see how that pans out.  

My setup is 16oz of the cheapest maple syrup i could find dumped into an 8x8 baking dish.  I won't change that either for now because it would change the surface area exposed to the smoke...  

I did some additional research to see who makes smoked maple syrup and I found one company in Vermont called Runamok Maple so I ordered their pecan smoked maple syrup and a couple of their others to try...

We were coming back from the Outer Banks on New Years day, and stopped at Mackey's Ferry Peanuts for the first time. Found some Runamok syrup there. Was quite expensive, but made a note of the brand and checked their website because we do go through a fair amount of maple syrup in our family...it sounds like really good syrup, look forward to your further adventures with your version!

John i know you are smoking in your kamado but i wonder if just smoking in your treager would be better 

That is a great idea never thought of smoking .maple syrup