Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

Niece Plays with WFO

This is for you @freddyjbbq

18 yo niece (Sr in high school) came to visit for a couple of days. Last school year she took an off campus culinary class at a local culinary school. This year she took a baking class. I figured I'd take her back to old school and teach her how to cook in the WFO. 

mwfo1.thumb.jpg.5e9147d795e29302d949fb6b5ba64066.jpg

We got up at 8:00 am and fired up the WFO. Here is the graph after taking it up to just over 800* and letting it ride coming down. 

mwfo2.thumb.jpg.9279fc7d55927e16baafc53b89a10ffc.jpg

The night before I showed her how to make a Detroit Style Pizza dough and a Chicago Style Pizza dough. We let them ride in the fridge overnight. She also made her first homemade pizza sauce using San Marzano tomatoes. Anyway this is the fruit of her labors cooked in the WFO. 

mwfo3.thumb.jpg.6c208c8bd38987f7858f118227c06258.jpg

mwfo4.thumb.jpg.8ce1fca15199658decc76951ecdf9773.jpg

After our pizza lunch I gave her 6 peaches I had frozen from this summer. This is what she came up with from her culinary baking school. Of course she cooked it in the WFO. 

mwfo5.thumb.jpg.cfb25cfc72d9a4486530f7af3957b1e4.jpg

mwfo6.thumb.jpg.de5ad634cb55fa63875e4c7272cd5a4b.jpg

We made other dishes cooked in various kamados but I don't think didn't take any pictures. She had fun with it all. 

mwfo7.jpg.00817b87503c2048e019abe87380b354.jpg

Awesome! 

My daughter helps make some pizzas, but I cannot wait until she runs the show!

It must be a hoot to have access to a high temp wood oven in a relaxed environment!

1 hour ago, TKOBBQ said:

@ckreef that's cool, looks like she knows her way around that thing pretty good.  Nice looking food.  What was her impression of this technique of cooking.

She had two days of fun outdoor cooking. Everything for the 2 days was cooked outside. She loved every minute of it. 

Griddle - Blueberry Stuffed French toast. 

Outdoor stock pot - low Country Boil with Dungeness Crab Clusters. 

WFO - pizza and peach pie. 

19" KK - rotisserie chicken. 

Primo Oval Jr - Zucchini Gratin and baked potatoes. 

I think she was most amazed at the Blueberry Stuffed French toast. It's such a mind blowing awesome recipe she just couldn't believe she made French toast that tasted so good. 

I invited her back for a two week visit this summer. I got a bunch of tricks up my sleeve for her to try cooking. 

1 hour ago, freddyjbbq said:

Dang, nice day and great setup!!

It was a gorgeous day. 

I meant to ask you what type of WFO do you have? Do you have any pictures of it I can check out? 

31 minutes ago, gotzero said:

Awesome! 

My daughter helps make some pizzas, but I cannot wait until she runs the show!

It must be a hoot to have access to a high temp wood oven in a relaxed environment!

I love the WFO. It's just plain fun playing with live fire. It really is a timing challenge for when the oven is at temp compared to when the pizza dough is ready and pizzas built. We hit the timing just right. She thought it was totally kewl and is taking pictures back to her baking instructor. It's like I told her some chefs will go their entire life and never get to experience cooking with a WFO. 

That’s awesome! I’ve definitely done the same thing on the Big Joe with our boy and nephews. Interestingly enough, none of the nieces care about the cooking, just the eating part. 

1 hour ago, Mr Cue said:

That’s awesome! I’ve definitely done the same thing on the Big Joe with our boy and nephews. Interestingly enough, none of the nieces care about the cooking, just the eating part. 

It's nice to pass along a little knowledge to someone who is eager to learn. My son couldn't care less. 

54 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

Congrats, it's great to see the younger generation getting involved with outdoor cooking. 

I'm trying hard. When she comes this summer I'll break out the Akorn Jr. If she truly takes to it I'll send her home with it. 

People think that I am crazy when I call BBQ a hobby.  Being able to share my hobby and passion with my family and friends is the best part for me.  Cooking and food bring family together!!!  

Great work Uncle Ckreef!!

1 hour ago, landscaper said:

Way to go ckreef! Everything looks great! 

Looks like your niece is going to do well. I bet she had a blast!

She did really good. She's even landed her first part time job at a local bakery. After she graduates High School this May she plans on enrolling in a larger culinary school next fall. I can't wait to see where her culinary career takes her.