Mark_from_Quebec

Can you (do you) smoke your burgers? Is it preferable ?

So I find smoking a lot easier than I thought it would be, it’s really hard to mess up anything when using the heat defuser and cooking low and slow and with a probe.

On the other hand I’m finding direct grilling more challenging compared to my gas bbq, are burgers, steaks not recommended smoked?

For a quick burger, I just use the propane grill.  IMHO the smoke would be lost under all the accouterments I pile on. Steaks on the other usually get cooked over charcoal.

I never smoke burgers. I sear with 1/2 turns using a set of Grill Grates. Thickness determines time before turns. Usually running the Grill Grates at 450*. 

Beef smokes beautifully, to my taste. London Broil was the dish that got me hooked on smoking; I've yet to find anyone who doesn't like it, even my wife! Still have leftovers in the fridge. 

But, beef also sears beautifully. CI griddles are popular, soapstone is expensive, so less so. Low grates over a blazing fire box can give massive sear marks. Lots of options. Try whatever sounds appealing and let us know!

HAve fun,

Frank 

If I was planning to put smoke on a burger I would use some oak out of my pasture and get a hot, smoky fire going and burn it down to coals with some smoke and then do the burgers over the hottest part of the fire.    For high temps and a sear I'm with

@ckreef

My problem with the direct grilling is that I haven’t learned to maintain an even temperature yet, and I’m unsure if grill should be on upper or lower, I haven’t been happy with my grilling results at this point, I could certainly use direct grilling tips.

In terms of smoking, in addition to all the meats I’ve done and have been super happy with, I was really surprised to see how well sausages come out smoked over the heat diffuser, they were the juiciest sausages I have ever had and they were really able to absorb a lot of smoke just from the lump charcoal for the small amount of time they cooked.

For grilling/cooking direct I've found that if you have sugar in your rub, I go with the top grill and cook no more than 350 to get the maillard effect.  For steaks or burgers, I'll go on the lower grill and crank up to 500.  Obviously adjust your timing based on thickness.

Hamburgers at this point are smashburgers on the Blackstone, I think there might be an uprising here if I tried another way. 

I actually do almost no direct cooking of meat through grates on a kamado. Lots of indirect cooking, lots of "direct" cooking on a plancha/griddle, lots of using stones as cooking surfaces. 

41 minutes ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

Is there a good go to video for smash burgers? I keep hearing about them.

Take a cast iron pan, soapstone, or some other flat hot surface.  Place burger on surface and smash flat with spatula.  Cook and then flip.

3 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

+1 on the smashburgers.  I get repeated family requests for smashburgers which makes me wish I had purchased a much larger flat-top grill.

Almost all my grand children prefer smash burgers. I ended up getting the Camp Chef Flat Top 600 griddle, primarily to be able to do more of them at once. 

Ok thanks guys, you convinced me and I’ll order the Kamado Big Joe Cast Iron / reversible griddle.

It seems expensive for just a half grate, we are a family of 6 so space gets used up quickly, I’ll try it out before ordering another half I guess.

Thanks for the recommendation!