Sign in to follow this  
Rombot

New to Kamados having just found one

Hi all, I have been a long time Weber charcoal BBQ'er  and on my way home from the pub last night I stumbled upon an old Kamado waiting for the garbage truck. With some difficulty I managed to wheel it the few blocks home. The bottom two thirds of the internal clay charcoal basket was in pieces but it is all there and fit back together nicely. There are also some small cracks on the lid  near the handle and the hinge but the main body of the BBQ looks all good.

I would love to know whether this is worth saving? If so,  what is the best way to fix the basket ('glue' back together with fire cement)?  Should I worry about the cracks in the lid or seek to fix them?  I have a can of Stove Bright High Temperature Paint, can this be used on the outside?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Daniel

20190107_152225.jpg

20190107_131053.jpg

20190107_131118.jpg

Hey Rombot, welcome, glad to have you and  your project with us. That kamado looks to me to be an old Imperial. Some of the older imperials actually have clay components. Clay kamados have kind of a cult following, they are beautiful but reportedly just t as fragile as they are cool.  The shape yours is in is actually better than a lot of others I have seen. It is going to take time and effort to restore that old cooker. There are several restoration stories in the "Other Kamado" section of our forum. I believe there are even some that involve Imperial kamados. If you give those a look, you can pretty much get an idea of what you have ahead of you should you want to restore your find. Cracks in anything especially ceramic always get bigger with use. So if you want to keep it I would plan on fixing everything that is cracked.  A company called Ruttland makes cement products for use on ceramic and stone ovens, stoves and such. You can always replace the fire box with a stainless steel basket like Kick Ash baskets makes. If and when you do get her restored your Imperial is, from what I have heard and read,  best suited for low and medium temp cooks. Most of the posts I have read on restorations folks keep them at temps below 350. Old Kamados are beautiful and really cool in my book, but they are  not really every day versatile low, medium, high heat work horse cookers, more like an old restored car you drive on Sundays when the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.