Tex

As a new Joe owner......

Not that I've cooked much on it but my first two cooks I've slightly overdone my meat. Nothing serious but above what I'd expect based on previous experience.

I've ran my Thermoworks on both cooks but ignored the readings  on the thermoworks for the most part in the interest of seeing if the Joe is accurate.

My readings at grill level have been consistently hotter than at dome levels,both cooks have been done with diffuser plates installed.

Obviously I'm going to check the Joe thermo for accuracy but has anyone else seen a huge discrepancy from the grill temp to the dome temp? 

Obviously heat rises but the difference between grill temp and dome temp is substantial.

To make matters worse they occasionally coincide.

From my experience its normal. Usually at the beginning the spread is higher. But as the cook progresses it becomes less of of difference. Typically the back of the grill is the hottest so that is where I set my probe. 25 to 35 temp difference is what I usually see. 

3 hours ago, landscaper said:

From my experience its normal. Usually at the beginning the spread is higher. But as the cook progresses it becomes less of of difference. Typically the back of the grill is the hottest so that is where I set my probe. 25 to 35 temp difference is what I usually see. 

+1  When you get heat soaked the gap drops as well.  I would stick to using 1 thermometer to keep things simple.  For example, when I grill/cook dinner, i just use the dome therm.  If I'm doing a low and slow, I'll use the digital probes.

8 hours ago, UTVol said:

+1  When you get heat soaked the gap drops as well.  I would stick to using 1 thermometer to keep things simple.  For example, when I grill/cook dinner, i just use the dome therm.  If I'm doing a low and slow, I'll use the digital probes.

I did notice the difference in temps leveled off as the cook progressed.

It takes a long to heat soak all the ceramics. The dome probe is measuring the air temp high in the dome, which is lower than the grate temps. Once all the ceramic gets up to temp, then it will be closer to the grill temps but always a little lower.

21 hours ago, Tex said:

... I've ran my Thermoworks on both cooks ...

My readings at grill level have been consistently hotter than at dome levels,both cooks have been done with diffuser plates installed....

That's odd. I always see grill level lower than exit vent. ALWAYS!!

Grill level at the center? Edges are hot due to heat rising around the deflector

Was there a gap in the deflector plates? It's the one downside to divide and conquer.  

I'm a multi-probe disciple, using the difference between grate and exit temperatures to control the fire. No low-n-slow cook has ever been higher on the grate at any time. My order is always exit >= dome > grate. 

Have fun,

Frank

10 hours ago, fbov said:

That's odd. I always see grill level lower than exit vent. ALWAYS!!

Grill level at the center? Edges are hot due to heat rising around the deflector

Was there a gap in the deflector plates? It's the one downside to divide and conquer.  

I'm a multi-probe disciple, using the difference between grate and exit temperatures to control the fire. No low-n-slow cook has ever been higher on the grate at any time. My order is always exit >= dome > grate. 

Have fun,

Frank

Going to check the thermostat on the Kamado today.