Charcoal Addict

Extreme Diet Trends

6 hours ago, landscaper said:

If I can't eat bread....pizza...cheese etc..........shoot me now!:-D

The doctor reccomeded healthy version of the Keto diet allows for 10-12% carbs which allows you to occasionally enjoy a couple of slices of Pizza.

The off the deep-end Hollywood nutjob version of the Keto diet with carbs at less than 4% tries to keep your body in a permenant state of Ketosis to speed up the weight loss as much as possible. 

I have been a long time user on the weight watchers platform.  I have borrowed books and sliders cards in the old days and have an app that mimics ww now.  I still prefer the points plus system.  I prefer ww over every other diet that I have ever tried because I eat the same just less of it.  Its about portion control and accountability.  

I was a five year ww guy and then over the past 3 years, I just lost site of things and let the weight creep up.  I have tried so many times to get back into it, only to give up later that week....

January 1st I weighed in at 225 lbs. and I am only 5'10" so I am pushing some of the heaviest I have been.  I decided that it was time to get back to track and started on ww once again.  Im 9 days in and seem to be past the hunger and mood swings...  But this isn't a diet and should never be viewed as one.  This is a lifestyle change and I have to be all in to make it work.  Down 9 pounds in 9 days, I know it is all water weight as they say, but at least it is a start in the right direction.  

17 hours ago, bosco said:

I have been a long time user on the weight watchers platform.  I have borrowed books and sliders cards in the old days and have an app that mimics ww now.  I still prefer the points plus system.  I prefer ww over every other diet that I have ever tried because I eat the same just less of it.  Its about portion control and accountability.  

I was a five year ww guy and then over the past 3 years, I just lost site of things and let the weight creep up.  I have tried so many times to get back into it, only to give up later that week....

January 1st I weighed in at 225 lbs. and I am only 5'10" so I am pushing some of the heaviest I have been.  I decided that it was time to get back to track and started on ww once again.  Im 9 days in and seem to be past the hunger and mood swings...  But this isn't a diet and should never be viewed as one.  This is a lifestyle change and I have to be all in to make it work.  Down 9 pounds in 9 days, I know it is all water weight as they say, but at least it is a start in the right direction.  

The best diet isn’t the one that helps you loose 20 lbs in 30-days faster than the next diet.

The best diet is the one that helps you reach your goals while keeping a healthy weight thoughout your lifetime. 

Without military grade discipline, it will be very hard for the average person to sustain the a strict Keto Diet for longer than 5-6 months. 

I I do Find Dr Becky Gillaspy to be reasonably brief, to the point, and  helpful.

I have found Dr Eric Berg on you tube to be very helpful and reasonably brief in explaining Keto .  Some call him the go to for keto. I would be foolish to think that any single item presented could ever be beyond disagreement but I do think these videos do a good job in being helpful. Both Becky Gillaspy and Eric Berg recommend nonstarchy vegetables Eric says they do not affect insulin so they are a zero, he recomends 8 cups a day of non starchy vegetables. Becky recommends a huge salad mid day and another in the evening. Shey says eating meat without vegetables is pushing things into the danger zone.

18 hours ago, Marty said:

I I do Find Dr Becky Gillaspy to be reasonably brief, to the point, and  helpful.

I have found Dr Eric Berg on you tube to be very helpful and reasonably brief in explaining Keto .  Some call him the go to for keto. I would be foolish to think that any single item presented could ever be beyond disagreement but I do think these videos do a good job in being helpful. Both Becky Gillaspy and Eric Berg recommend nonstarchy vegetables Eric says they do not affect insulin so they are a zero, he recomends 8 cups a day of non starchy vegetables. Becky recommends a huge salad mid day and another in the evening. Shey says eating meat without vegetables is pushing things into the danger zone.

These are actually legitmate doctors making medical recommendations.  These  are professionals that know what they’re doing.

People have to learn to avoid the fanatics, quacks and scammers out there trying to make a quick buck.

There’s a massive amount of Keto supplement scams jumping the Keto bandwagon out there designed to take advantage of people while encouraging  “danger zone” behaviours.  

On my list of weight loss strategies is to filter out articles/information written with a subtle underlying agenda.

Underlying agenda? I usually trace that back to money. Buy their stuff, buy our program,  maybe even a bit of paid lobbying to promote away or toward an item or concept.

Sounds a bit conspiratorial I know, but I learned long ago to verify the source.

Test out the concept. Think of all the stuff that gets talked up, then quickly becomes a distant memory.

Reminds me of the old western movies with somebody selling " snake oil". Where is snake oil now? :good: I believe there are modern versions of snake oil today.

M.

Keto is like atkins about 10 years ago. Yes you can lose weight quickly, but its prob not in your best long term health goals.

IMHO  the only diets that pass the smell test are whole30 or diets like paleo. Where you get back to eating REAL food that is minimally processed. Start eating roasted chicken, grilled steak, steamed or baked vegetables (even potatoes).  As long as you stay away from all the breads and deserts you will start to lose weight. At the end of the day its math, not magic that loses weight. You can eat a whole bunch of REAL food or you can have a few handfuls of chips, donuts, and cookies

Yeah, we all can blame engineered food, portion size, sedentary jobs, 20 fast food restaurants on a single street, and ever compressed schedules. But its math, not magic. 

16 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

Keto is like atkins about 10 years ago. Yes you can lose weight quickly, but its prob not in your best long term health goals.

IMHO  the only diets that pass the smell test are whole30 or diets like paleo. Where you get back to eating REAL food that is minimally processed. Start eating roasted chicken, grilled steak, steamed or baked vegetables (even potatoes).  As long as you stay away from all the breads and deserts you will start to lose weight. At the end of the day its math, not magic that loses weight. You can eat a whole bunch of REAL food or you can have a few handfuls of chips, donuts, and cookies

Yeah, we all can blame engineered food, portion size, sedentary jobs, 20 fast food restaurants on a single street, and ever compressed schedules. But its math, not magic. 

Switching to fresh ground whole grain bread and ditching white bread would help many people’s diets.  There’s actually fiber and Omega 3 in whole grain breads.  

White flour is just starch and other sugars left.  In small portions it’s okay,  but not in the amounts many people are consuming.  

11 hours ago, mike echo said:

On my list of weight loss strategies is to filter out articles/information written with a subtle underlying agenda.

Underlying agenda? I usually trace that back to money. Buy their stuff, buy our program,  maybe even a bit of paid lobbying to promote away or toward an item or concept.

Sounds a bit conspiratorial I know, but I learned long ago to verify the source.

Test out the concept. Think of all the stuff that gets talked up, then quickly becomes a distant memory.

Reminds me of the old western movies with somebody selling " snake oil". Where is snake oil now? :good: I believe there are modern versions of snake oil today.

M.

I do agree totally about selling things. Those links that I linked to do sell consultation,books,programs. Dr Eric Berg even sells a calciferous supplement powder but he says it is best to eat the real calciferous vegetables like Kale, Brussels sprouts, parsley,  salads, and so on. He promotes eating the real foods but does sell the powder.

However the sites do give enough information about legitimate studies and the factual back ground. The do give a lot of high quality free information to help any one wanting to live healthy with Keto. I find it interesting to know the actual truth about Ancel Keys on the diet recomedations that are the basis of our national recommendations and the shocking statistically rigged cholesterol studies. The  posted percent listed is derived by taking a percent and dividing it by another percent

The way that I look at this is things will become popular or trendy because they are promoted. I think a Keto diet is a legitimate life style.

As I see it the snake oil is being sold by the doctors and the pharmaceutical companies, their entire livelihood is built on it.  Insulin , blood pressure medications, blood thinners, cholesterol lowering stains. Along with this are mandated checkups to renew the medications. Then there are the weekly visits from the drug company reps---usually young attractive women who are paying for lunch.

I lost 40 pounds just by eliminating bread, sugar, pasta, potatoes. I ate meat and non starchy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage,  cooked dry beans, and so on. Eating animal fat in enough quantity  along with vegetables is a very sustainable way of eating. I had no hunger at all and the pounds just dropped off with no exercise at all. I do find Keto to  require a whole new way of eating  and a good bit of knowledge--that goes against the typical American diet of bread, bagles, doughnuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cinniman rolls, cookies,  sugar soda and so on.   My wife was a teacher and the breakfast buffet on appreciation days was all fast metabolizing starches and pure sugars.It would not have been possible with out Dunking Doughnut.  Nothing but fast carbs. The American diet is so bad that that the reaction of the teachers has become---we are meant to be fat and we are the weight that we are meant to be.

It is almost rare to see a thin person in the stores.

I had a stroke on 9-11-2017 and they had no interest in what caused it. The just gave me pills and tested my blood to make adjustments. My current doctor has no interest in helping get me off the drugs. I badly need a doctor who knows how to test clotting factors as I taper the drugs down to zero, but that is blasphemy in American medical practice.

The best that I can piece together is I had too much starch and sugar in  my diet and I drank too much sweetened home made sangria. This was after I had relaxed my Keto diet. Sadly I had no idea that my sugar was running high enough to cause clots My theory is  the sugar damaged the LDL  cholesterol making it accumulate and clump together causing the stroke.  I think treating symptoms with out understanding cause is  the biggest snake oil of all. In a perfect world cause would be determined and advice given with out trying to produce an on going money stream.

13 hours ago, Marty said:

I do agree totally about selling things. Those links that I linked to do sell consultation,books,programs. Dr Eric Berg even sells a calciferous supplement powder but he says it is best to eat the real calciferous vegetables like Kale, Brussels sprouts, parsley,  salads, and so on. He promotes eating the real foods but does sell the powder.

However the sites do give enough information about legitimate studies and the factual back ground. The do give a lot of high quality free information to help any one wanting to live healthy with Keto. I find it interesting to know the actual truth about Ancel Keys on the diet recomedations that are the basis of our national recommendations and the shocking statistically rigged cholesterol studies. The  posted percent listed is derived by taking a percent and dividing it by another percent

The way that I look at this is things will become popular or trendy because they are promoted. I think a Keto diet is a legitimate life style.

As I see it the snake oil is being sold by the doctors and the pharmaceutical companies, their entire livelihood is built on it.  Insulin , blood pressure medications, blood thinners, cholesterol lowering stains. Along with this are mandated checkups to renew the medications. Then there are the weekly visits from the drug company reps---usually young attractive women who are paying for lunch.

I lost 40 pounds just by eliminating bread, sugar, pasta, potatoes. I ate meat and non starchy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage,  cooked dry beans, and so on. Eating animal fat in enough quantity  along with vegetables is a very sustainable way of eating. I had no hunger at all and the pounds just dropped off with no exercise at all. I do find Keto to  require a whole new way of eating  and a good bit of knowledge--that goes against the typical American diet of bread, bagles, doughnuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cinniman rolls, cookies,  sugar soda and so on.   My wife was a teacher and the breakfast buffet on appreciation days was all fast metabolizing starches and pure sugars.It would not have been possible with out Dunking Doughnut.  Nothing but fast carbs. The American diet is so bad that that the reaction of the teachers has become---we are meant to be fat and we are the weight that we are meant to be.

It is almost rare to see a thin person in the stores.

I had a stroke on 9-11-2017 and they had no interest in what caused it. The just gave me pills and tested my blood to make adjustments. My current doctor has no interest in helping get me off the drugs. I badly need a doctor who knows how to test clotting factors as I taper the drugs down to zero, but that is blasphemy in American medical practice.

The best that I can piece together is I had too much starch and sugar in  my diet and I drank too much sweetened home made sangria. This was after I had relaxed my Keto diet. Sadly I had no idea that my sugar was running high enough to cause clots My theory is  the sugar damaged the LDL  cholesterol making it accumulate and clump together causing the stroke.  I think treating symptoms with out understanding cause is  the biggest snake oil of all. In a perfect world cause would be determined and advice given with out trying to produce an on going money stream.

White flour is a pretty recent invention.  It actually didn’t exist until the 1870’s in large quantities when companies wanted to start selling processed flour.  It didn’t really take off until the 1930’s with companies like Safeway starting having in-store bakeries for the first time.

Most people used to grind their own grains before that.