Mark_from_Quebec

Are Weber Wood Chunks decent and which of the 5 available options are a must have?

I’ve had my Big Joe for a few months and I’ve gotten the hang of smoking just using my lump charcoal, I’m ready to move on to wood chunks.

im limited to what I have available, Weber Wood chunks are an option, they have 5 different wood types, the bags seem pretty small.

Is there anything wrong with the Weber wood chunks and which of the 5 wood types are a must have? 

Can I store it indefinitely in my garage, so I need to worry about drying it out or moisture or anything like that?

furtado chunks are an option too but they are 3 x the price, maybe the bag is bigger, not sure.

Wood chunks are wood chunks. I wouldn't worry about what brand you buy as much as I would consider the price per weight as well as the type of wood. 

I typically just buy the cheapest bags I can find that have mostly fist sized pieces in them. If I need smaller pieces I'll split them with a hatchet. Same with bark, some cheaper bags will have a few pieces mixed in that still have bark on them, just cut that off with a hatchet as well.

Everyone will have their own opinions on types of wood to use, but apple, cherry and pecan are pretty much all I use. As far as storage goes, if stored in your garage the chunks will have a longer shelf life than you or I, hah.

1 minute ago, JDEaston said:

Wood chunks are wood chunks. I wouldn't worry about what brand you buy as much as I would consider the price per weight as well as the type wood. 

I typically just buy the cheapest bags I can find that have mostly fist sized pieces in them. If I need smaller pieces I'll split them with a hatchet. Same with bark, some cheaper bags will have a few pieces mixed in that still have bark on them, just curious that off with a hatchet as well.

Everyone will have their own opinions on types of wood to use, but apple, cherry and pecan are pretty much all I use. As far as storage goes, if stored in your garage the chunks will have a longer shelf life than you or I, hah.

Thank you, I was trying to avoid buying all 5 flavors that Weber sells (Mesquite, Cherry, Apple, Pecan, Hickory), I wasn’t sure if I should start with one general flavor that works with everything and learn the ropes or just dive straight in and order all 5 flavors.

I do know that I want to smoke my first brisket next.

2 minutes ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

Thank you, I was trying to avoid buying all 5 flavors that Weber sells (Mesquite, Cherry, Apple, Pecan, Hickory), I wasn’t sure if I should start with one general flavor that works with everything and learn the ropes or just dive straight in and order all 5 flavors.

I do know that I want to smoke my first brisket next.

Unless you like a heavy smoke profile I would stay away from mesquite and if you do buy it use it sparingly until you know how much you really need. It's typically only good for beef, however I would use hickory for beef before I used mesquite. Most of the time I use Pecan for beef though. 

Apple and cherry are great for anything pork and the cherry will actually help give you a nice mahogany color to ribs, ham, etc. Both have a light smoke profile but if you must use wood for poultry a chunk of apple should be all you need. Poultry takes smoke much easier than most protein so I typically just use straight lump for it. Pecan is kind of a jack of all trades type of wood, you can use it with pretty much anything, though I still wouldn't use it myself for poultry. 

If I were just going to buy one type of wood it would likely be cherry, but I like to keep apple and pecan on hand as well.

Cherry is good to have around - I think it gives chicken a nice flavor and color - good with Beef too.  

Pecan is my favorite.  It tastes just like hickory but a little more mild.  I also like the flavor of Apple on pork and ribs.   Peach is my favorite for all things pork - but not a wood webber sells.  Mesquite is too much harsh smoke for me, even in the smallest amounts.  

Just remember that no matter what brand you buy if you find pieces will bark on them either discard them or cut it off with a hatchet. If you're from Quebec I imagine you have a hatchet laying around somewhere hah.

3 minutes ago, grill seeker said:

Cherry is good to have around - I think it gives chicken a nice flavor and color - good with Beef too.  

Pecan is my favorite.  It tastes just like hickory but a little more mild.  I also like the flavor of Apple on pork and ribs.   Peach is my favorite for all things pork - but not a wood webber sells.  Mesquite is too much harsh smoke for me, even in the smallest amounts.  

Cherry is suitable for poultry as far as the smoke profile goes. The only reason I stay away from it is actually because of the color profile you mentioned. It doesn't bother me so to speak because I cooked it and know it's done. But when serving it for guests the color seems to throw them off a bit unless they're smokers like us hah. 

Weber’s wood gets the job done.  The cuts are not as nice as some of the premium brands.  You get a lot of chips in some bags; you’re going to toss it into a fire.

The wood chunks you buy from online resellers are better quality than Weber’s around the same price per an lbs. 

I use Weber chunks, they are not as nice or uniform  as some but cheaper and more available in my area than premium brands and the Weber chunks work just fine. I use apple, cherry, and pecan exclusively and like them all. I stay away from hickory and mesquite as they are a bit sharp on my palate.

I often use them, Pecan and Cherry are my go to...  You'll find cheaper bags at BBQ Quebec but won't find "cheap" as you would in USA. Everytime I get to an American Walmart, cant believe how many brands of charcoals and chunks they have... From Quebec, I understand what you live.