Sign in to follow this  
O C

First cook on new GMG Davy Crockett

So, first cook on my new GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill. Simple, skin-on chicken thighs with a new rub for me, Lambert's Sweet Rub O'Mine. Family said they were good. There may be a learning curve with the grill:) This is completely new to me!
I love my Akorn, and in fact my family is a little concerned that I am even considering cooking on something else. But I've been intrigued by my brother's Traeger, a small one that he's been able to bring to my sister's house on a trailer hitch carrier to cook our turkey the past two Thanksgivings, plus other dinners at his place. So I did a little research, decided the DC was the right size for our family, has the wifi and app, portable enough to take elsewhere, and good reviews. Bought the thermal blanket as well. Started with a bag of Traeger premium pellets, have some Lumber Jack on the way.
First impressions:
The legs are awkward. Pretty sure they'll come off, then build a cart with wheels to move it in and out of cover, and devise some other way (straps?) to make it portable if I want. In any case, a bit heavier and more awkward than moving my Akorn Jr around.
Wifi is so far a disappointment. Maybe can resolve with tech support. The app, when I am able to connect, is nice. I'm sure there is more to learn.
Temp control seems pretty good. Grill temp was within +/-7 degrees of my GrillMate probe, and generally stable. When wifi dropped though (more than once), temps dropped 25+ before they returned to the proper setting.
I winged it on time/temp. I figured its chicken thighs, not rocket science, have done them many times on the Akorn.
I went 25 min at 250 for a little more smoke, as I read that it smokes better at the lower temps, then bumped up to 350 for about another 30 min. Food probe was at 180 when they came off (I did like the integrated grill and food temps on the app). They were nicely browned, very tender and juicy. Skin not quite as crispy as what I usually get off the Akorn. Next time will use one of my usual Dizzzy Pig rubs, the Lamberts was good but as the name implies, sweeter than I prefer.
I'm very comfortable and confident with the Akorn and the Akorn jr. Hopefully will get that way with the Davy Crockett too:)

DC_FirstCook.thumb.jpg.f363c9e66da6118afc5846ccfca8639d.jpg

Nice looking thighs. I have not done that many cooks on my new pellet pooper yet but I have found that, on mine, if I want crispy skin on the chicken, I need to run at 400°, instead of 350°. I have also found that nothing I have ever cooked on before, does chicken as well as my Timberline 1300. 

Congrats on your new grill my man, idk the gmg dc but I checked on amazon an it has favorable reviews.

tell your family not to sweat it with the Akorn, having different grills will likely encourage and enable you to  try new/different cooks and everybody wins.

one suggestion I have to to check out the recipe section on the Traeger website or on the smartphone app.  It has a very wide variety , shopping lists, cooking instructions and grill setting for every recipe and you can use any grill, oven, heat source, etc.  

keep cooking on your new grill and you’ll learn it, master it & love it!

7 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Nice looking thighs. I have not done that many cooks on my new pellet pooper yet but I have found that, on mine, if I want crispy skin on the chicken, I need to run at 400°, instead of 350°. I have also found that nothing I have ever cooked on before, does chicken as well as my Timberline 1300. 

I followed the “chicken challenge” on the wifire app.  It cooked at high heat and the results blew my mind!

Thanks for the encouragement! Second cook is underway, will post tomorrow.

An update on the grill, I followed the troubleshooting instructions on the GMG website, reset the wifi on the grill and followed the connection instructions, and now its working great. I initially connected from the garage at the far end of the house. Grill is now located in its home on the deck, closer to the router. Love the integrated grill/food temp and much better range than my grillmate unit.

Need to look into the server mode, maybe that allows fully remote monitoring(i.e. from work)?