odamaK

2019 New Kamado Joe III being sold

Just noticed the new Kamado Joes being sold on ABT. Check the link below for the Big Joe III. Weighs in at almost double what a Big Joe II weighs now. Price increase as well.

https://www.abt.com/product/129463/Kamado-Joe-Big-Joe-III-Red-Ceramic-Grill-BJIII.html

Also you can find the classic there being sold  as well. 

I'm guessing they decided to rename the new Joe Pro to Big Joe III???

Looks like the Classic III is also a scaled down Pro Joe.

This highlights one thing that is a pet peeve of mine - when manufacturers don't keep their websites updated and we see new items on vendor sites first.

15 minutes ago, HeavyG said:

I'm guessing they decided to rename the new Joe Pro to Big Joe III???

Looks like the Classic III is also a scaled down Pro Joe.

No, the Pro Joe is a different beast again. Its much larger and twice as expensive

Looks like theyve taken some of the design components from the Pro Joe and incorporated them into the new Classic and BJ

Considering the Classic2 and BJ2 only came out 2 or 3 years ago, it does make me wonder if KJ are gonna keep releasing a new grill every 3-5 years.

Its a good marketing strategy as i know a ton of people who ditched thier Series 1 Joes when the Series 2 dropped, so i will be keen to see how many people start looking at upgrading now theres a new model out

I've seen the Joe Pro (local dealer has one) and the price was only $3K. The shape of the Big Joe III is identical to the new Pro Joe - where the Big Joe was short and squat the Pro/Big Joe III is taller and more slender. That's why I was thinking they might have made scaled versions of the Pro.

Beats me. I'm sure we'll hear more about them soon.

Kinda surprised at the price for the Big Joe III tho. Big Green Egg redesigned their 2XL and lowered the price to $1999, about half what the old XXL was selling for. The BGE 2XL has a 29" grid which is much larger than the Big Joe or Pro.

7 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Its a good marketing strategy as i know a ton of people who ditched thier Series 1 Joes when the Series 2 dropped, so i will be keen to see how many people start looking at upgrading now theres a new model out

Really?

I knew this was a thing with cellphones, but we are talking about a clay pot with a couple holes in it. I can't imagine spending BJ money a second (or third) time to get some fairly minor incremental changes as far as actual functionality is concerned.

Restaurants are the real target market for the Big Joe 3.  There’s a much smaller market of home users that’ll buy the Big Joe 3 too.  

The average family of 5-6 doesn’t really need anything bigger than a Big Joe 2.  

For or my own use, I’d probably buy a Timberline before dropping $4,800 Canadian on a Big Joe 3.  

Aside from the weight difference and a beefier stand, I don't see any real discernible functionality improvements with the BJIII? Both the BJ II and the BJ III are 24" ceramics with a similar feature set, save for the "hyperbolic insert".  I could be missing something though.... 

With that said, gladly hook me up with a clearance deal on a BJ II :)

1 hour ago, gorilla83 said:

Aside from the weight difference and a beefier stand, I don't see any real discernible functionality improvements with the BJIII? Both the BJ II and the BJ III are 24" ceramics with a similar feature set, save for the "hyperbolic insert".  I could be missing something though.... 

With that said, gladly hook me up with a clearance deal on a BJ II :)

I’m pretty sure the Hyberbolic insert could be purchase for older Joes.  I thought the unit was much taller effectively providing more cooking space.

7 hours ago, mbellot said:

Really?

I knew this was a thing with cellphones, but we are talking about a clay pot with a couple holes in it. I can't imagine spending BJ money a second (or third) time to get some fairly minor incremental changes as far as actual functionality is concerned.

When the BJ2 dropped there were signifigant upgrades included like the control tower, new gasket, new firebox and the new hinge.

The hinge was probably the biggest selling point for most people and it was also the one thing that couldnt be retrofitted to a series 1.

Considering the series 1 had been in the market in its current guise for quite a few years, i saw a lot of people selling thier 5-7 year old Series 1 grills and picking up brand new series 2s.

It sorta made sense when you considered the cost of buying the new firebox, gasket and control tower, coupled with the money you could get by selling your old Joe, the BJ2 wasnt that huge of a purchase

Hell, i know a lot of guys who managed to convince thier wives that buying the series 2 joe was a good idea simply by saying "well, honey, if get the new one, you'll be able to use it too cause the lid isnt as heavy"

Even grill guys arent immune to the "latest and greatest"

1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m pretty sure the Hyberbolic insert could be purchase for older Joes.  I thought the unit was much taller effectively providing more cooking space.

According to the specs listed on the page, the BJ3 is a little under 6 inches deeper than the BJ2

They've also managed to increase the cooking space from 452 sq.in to 864 sq.in with the inclusion of the 3 tier cooking grates

I like the stand though as its got a shelf in it for storeage of the hyperbolic insert (i assume) which would help to declutter my deck when im just grilling

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

According to the specs listed on the page, the BJ3 is a little under 6 inches deeper than the BJ2

They've also managed to increase the cooking space from 452 sq.in to 864 sq.in with the inclusion of the 3 tier cooking grates

I like the stand though as its got a shelf in it for storeage of the hyperbolic insert (i assume) which would help to declutter my deck when im just grilling

I’m not really interested in the Big Joe 3.  I’m more curious to see if KJ will offer the Hyperbolic insert as a 3rd party accessory for old Joes. 

11 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m not really interested in the Big Joe 3.  I’m more curious to see if KJ will offer the Hyperbolic insert as a 3rd party accessory for old Joes. 

I don't wee how it would work. That deeper base is to take advantage of the insert. In a regular BJ, the top of that insert would have to be very close to grill height.

5 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I don't wee how it would work. That deeper base is to take advantage of the insert. In a regular BJ, the top of that insert would have to be very close to grill height.

If it doesnt fit as it is, they may be planning on making a shorter version for the series 1 and 2 grills

When it was first mentioned, Bobby did say they would be releasing one for exisiting grills

imlndavehnig.png.a0c32a046284c7fc98f1e94ecd0936f7.png

23 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

If it doesnt fit as it is, they may be planning on making a shorter version for the series 1 and 2 grills

When it was first mentioned, Bobby did say they would be releasing one for exisiting grills

Thank for the info, yeah it would have to be more compact. However, for low and slows there is zero way that I could utilize both this and a drip pan– at least my current variety of drip pans :-D