odamaK

2019 New Kamado Joe III being sold

Just now, ArinX said:

Didn't know that, mine didn't fall off but is pretty well bent thought it was normal.  Thank you 

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@BBQgeek it should not have come like that.  Check your thermometer to see if the stem is bent on it.  If it's bent, it won't likely work and will need to be replaced.

I found this forum after searching for a Kamado grill for the past month. I’ve been going back and forth and could not make up my mind on KJ II or III, then the size factored in to make it more complicated. After reading through 10 pages (LOL) on this subject, my decision became clear and I pulled the trigger on a Big Joe III today. Thanks for all the great insight!

My Big Joe III finally arrived.  My fears of it being to heavy to move down the driveway or get to the deck ended up being no big deal at all.

First impressions: I've never seen a 24" kamado in real life and maaaan is this thing big.  Choosing to go big already paid off though - tonight I made burgers and corn for 5 people, and since I wanted indirect to roast the burgers/corn and high heat to sear the burgers, the divide and conquer had just enough room to handle the roasting of all of it. If I had gone with the Classic Joe, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

Picture comments:

1. I made this firepoker in a blacksmithing class two years ago, turned out to be exactly the perfect height for the grill I never knew I wanted so bad!

2. First real cook was smoking a chicken - salt and pepper at 400 for an hour with the SloRoller, it was delicious!

3. The big mofo out on the deck.  I smile every time it catches my eye

I'm really glad I did my research and chose this grill.  I was on the fence about the 18" vs 24", and like I said, it already paid off.  I'm getting the hang of controlling the temperature, and can't wait so see what meals come out of it in the future.

20190728_172306.jpg

20190726_175922.jpg

20190726_143236.jpg

Do you have the SloRoller sitting on the firebox and the 3 tier d&c rack on top of the SloRoller? Just curious if the big joe 3 is different to the Classic 3 because on the Classic 3 this is the correct method and raises the top tier of the d&c rack by a couple of inches above the height of the gasket. I received a classic joe 3 a few weeks ago and think the extra height in the bottom dome and the SloRoller are such good improvements that i’m considering upgrading my big joe 2 as well. 

On 1/10/2019 at 12:30 AM, Polar Bear said:

No, the Pro Joe is a different beast again. Its much larger and twice as expensive

Looks like theyve taken some of the design components from the Pro Joe and incorporated them into the new Classic and BJ

Considering the Classic2 and BJ2 only came out 2 or 3 years ago, it does make me wonder if KJ are gonna keep releasing a new grill every 3-5 years.

Its a good marketing strategy as i know a ton of people who ditched thier Series 1 Joes when the Series 2 dropped, so i will be keen to see how many people start looking at upgrading now theres a new model out

Ditching a Cassic 1 to "upgrade" to Classic 2 doesn't make much sense to me. I'm totally satisfied with my black Classic 1. 

33 minutes ago, Misguided said:

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a Big Joe III. Are there any retailers that will do delivery and setup? I have a very long gravel driveway and a few steps to negotiate. 

I would recommend finding your closest local dealer and starting with them.  Most of those shops have this option available to you.

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I would recommend finding your closest local dealer and starting with them.  Most of those shops have this option available to you.

Appreciate it, John. Unfortunately, my nearest dealer is nearly 60 miles, and they are a pool/spa place. You’d never even know from their website they carry this sort of thing.  I was thinking of renting a truck and buying a Big Joe II from Costco (a bit further than the dealer is where the current roadshow is...drove there today to look at one for the first time). Still doing a mental coin flip on getting the latest and greatest (and not having to haul it myself) vs saving some money, which is always nice, but not my primary motivator.

8 hours ago, Misguided said:

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a Big Joe III. Are there any retailers that will do delivery and setup? I have a very long gravel driveway and a few steps to negotiate. 

I hired a couple of day laborers a few years ago when I had a similar need.  They  can probably get it into a pickup.  You can drive up your gravel driveway and they can carry it to your destination.

image.thumb.png.9b85d24188b71a9c07f480723e7058ef.png

You may want to consider building one of the kamado sedan chairs as used in this video – 

13 hours ago, therippa said:

Is anyone else finding it impossible to fit the sloroller on the bottom of the cart?  It's too wide to fit in, am I missing some trick?

I slide the sloroller under the cart, i use the shelf for the heat deflectors