odamaK

2019 New Kamado Joe III being sold

On 1/10/2019 at 2:20 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

For or my own use, I’d probably buy a Timberline before dropping $4,800 Canadian on a Big Joe 3.  

Isn't the exchange rate a big pain in the ###?

Been eyeing a Big Joe 2 for a long time, it's $3105CAD taxes in (in Montreal).

Very frustrating they aren't doing Costco shows around here. I paid $700 for my Pitboss at Costco. If I'm going to pay four times the price snagging a show deal and getting a junior on top would be fantastic. 

$4800 is just... wow.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m not really interested in the Big Joe 3.  I’m more curious to see if KJ will offer the Hyperbolic insert as a 3rd party accessory for old Joes. 

Here is a post Bobby put up on FB last week and he did say it would be available as an accessory for older models 

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 7.20.08 AM.png

It does not seem badly priced although it is expensive. If I understand correctly and the III includes 3 tiers of grates and the charcoal basket, that would be close to $300 to replicate alone, and I am sure the hyperbolic insert will not be inexpensive. 

I had been looking at a full price Classic II I would have easily gone to the III, since the first thing I did was order a charcoal basket and more grates. 

20 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:

Isn't the exchange rate a big pain in the ###?

Been eyeing a Big Joe 2 for a long time, it's $3105CAD taxes in (in Montreal).

Very frustrating they aren't doing Costco shows around here. I paid $700 for my Pitboss at Costco. If I'm going to pay four times the price snagging a show deal and getting a junior on top would be fantastic. 

$4800 is just... wow.

Unfortunately, that Costco deal has gone the way of... political civility I'm afraid...

On 1/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

Unfortunately, that Costco deal has gone the way of... political civility I'm afraid...

From what I understand its not political civility, its "we keep having literal fistfights in the Costco during the roadshow, because these adults act like children, so now no one gets the deal"

22 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

From what I understand its not political civility, its "we keep having literal fistfights in the Costco during the roadshow, because these adults act like children, so now no one gets the deal"

Can you share more information on this?  I ask because every time I see the Traeger team in Costco I stop and listen to their lies and half-truths.  I never confront them but I suspect that some people do.

The first of the Kamado Joe III series grills are supposed to be on the ground in the US during the first week or two of March.  That was my most recent update.    I don't know if that means they arrive at that time or if they start entering the distribution chain at that time.

2 hours ago, pmillen said:

Can you share more information on this?  I ask because every time I see the Traeger team in Costco I stop and listen to their lies and half-truths.  I never confront them but I suspect that some people do.

From what I have read elsewhere and heard from chatting with the reps when I was loading up on charcoal at my local roadshows, there were some instances of fights breaking out (fights being the operative word, don't know if that means screaming matches, but i gathered from the way it was talked about it was more than that) between the first couple of people to show up at the roadshow area looking for the demo deal. "I got here first" vs. "I was in line first" I'm guessing. That can be pretty uncomfortable for the rep I imagine, especially since they would essentially be deciding the winner.

When I got my grill, I thought I was 2nd, but there was an older gentleman hidden next to the door and nearly bowled the costco ID checker over in his Terminator like-determination to find the roadshow, he kept looking back and snarling at the two younger guys (myself included) and DEMANDED the demo deal from the rep as soon as he saw him.

So, my $0.02 is that KJ decided enough was enough with that. I wouldnt be surprised if they also got tired of seeing people turning around and sell their free juniors on ebay for reduced cost as well. Just another example of a few people ruining a good thing for everyone else.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:59 AM, KJTerp said:

I think you missed my point slightly. :-D

I wasn't comparing the two, I was simply saying that the deal is a thing of the past. It is also my understanding that Costco pulled the plug on it. The deal was fantastic of course but from my experience and from listening to others, it seemed like there was no cookie cutter way in which it was administrated. I've heard tales for everything from (and I am not saying all examples are true, btw) 

• people being first in line & the Rep saying the deal was already gone because they reserved it for someone;
  • literal foot races and hockey style jostling when Costco's doors were opened
  • People jumping line while others were waiting to the get the rep's attention
  • more than one individual receiving the deal (was there for that one, I was first in line and received the demo while the rep later passed out boxed deals to people who came afterward)
Edited by CentralTexBBQ

I was always shocked the original demo deal and roadshow pricing exisited in the first place.

I'm not sure how many KJ retailers there are in areas where the roadshow visits but i can imagine the promise of the roadshow rolling into town must hurt the bottom line of any independant KJ retailer.

I have often wondered what the ratio of "Costco KJs" there are here opposed to KJs that were purchased at independant retailers.

Seems like the only way people in the US buy a KJ is to wait for a Roadshow to come to town

5 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I have often wondered what the ratio of "Costco KJs" there are here opposed to KJs that were purchased at independant retailers.

Does this forum have polling capability?

5 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I was always shocked the original demo deal and roadshow pricing exisited in the first place.

I'm not sure how many KJ retailers there are in areas where the roadshow visits but i can imagine the promise of the roadshow rolling into town must hurt the bottom line of any independant KJ retailer.

Seems like the only way people in the US buy a KJ is to wait for a Roadshow to come to town

I got mine at a road show, the only dealer close to me is lowes