Sign in to follow this  
SmoovD

Guess it is time to become active in this subforum...

...and in life.

Over the last six years my weight has ballooned and my overall health has decreased. This has been a result of bad decisions followed by more bad decisions. The time to make better decisions is well past due. The Mrs. and I have joined a popular lifestyle/diet plan and are will complete our first week tomorrow morning with a weigh-in. In addition to this plan I have also switched to a low carb diet. Hopefully these changes will become habits, which will lead to a better, more healthy lifestyle.

So I have cleaned out the refrigerator, freezers, and pantry. Starting from scratch. Found homes for the unwanted foods so little has been wasted. The biggest issue for me over the past few months I have been really into sausage making. Different styles of bratwurst, kielbasa, German sausage, Italian sausage, and the like are still packed away in the freezers. I have found homes for them but haven't had the time to pack and distribute the frozen, intestine-encased goodies.

Now comes the time to begin experimenting with recipes to produce low fat sausage using chicken and turkey. In the past I have made some tasty chicken brats using chicken thighs (with skin) but I would like to refine further to remove more of the fat. Unfortunately, fat is tasty and almost essential to create linked sausages. If anyone has any found any tips or tricks, please share. I will do the same should I find a product or combination of ingredients that fit the bill. I must say that I am fairly excited by this challenge.

Happy New Year to all my fellow KGurus!

GOOD FOR YOU Smoov....

i know its difficult and there will be many who want to push their products, no matter how weird they may be...

health is really all we have...

just remember to NOT remove everything good/tasty/fun/fill in the blank from your life in pursuit of 'health'... there is much to be said for mental health as well...

denying yourself completely of the things you love is no way to live AND it causes programs to fail (i hate the word diet)

ALLOW yourself to enjoy things... cooking/creating being one of them...

i have not had a drink in 5+ years and i still go to bars and watch live music, work in the yard, and tinker with cars... i just dont have a drink in my hand when i do it...

be easy on yourself (andeach other) and best of joojoo coming your way (since theres no such thing as luck)...

it only gets easier!

TB

@SmoovD. Sounds like you guys are on the good journey to better health. A bunch of great posts in Healthy Lifestyles as you have probably read. I value these as the KG people are so insightful.

I have a few things I have learned both easy and hard and submit for you consideration: I have made some slip ups now and again-no big deal; My motivating concept is to begin and maintain a diet and excercise program to allow me a head start on not being lectured by a medical professional on what I should be doing etc. etc.  and the ensuing  negative thoughts and feelings afterward; Maybe you have something for yourself in mind. Read up on the myriad of concepts and facts that all the people in the diet industry put out. Cherry pick what works for you and makes sense. The info is overwhelming.

Persevere amigo.

M.

1 hour ago, SmoovD said:

......The Mrs. and I have joined a popular lifestyle/diet plan and are will complete our first week tomorrow morning with a weigh-in.

Now comes the time to begin experimenting with recipes to produce low fat sausage using chicken and turkey. In the past I have made some tasty chicken brats using chicken thighs (with skin) but I would like to refine further to remove more of the fat. Unfortunately, fat is tasty and almost essential to create linked sausages. If anyone has any found any tips or tricks, please share. I will do the same should I find a product or combination of ingredients that fit the bill. I must say that I am fairly excited by this challenge.

Good luck to you and your mrs., i think its great that youve joined this venture together & wish you all of the success that you are after!

i'm also interested in sausage making and would like to try some chicken & turkey.  Please (if you dont mind) share some of the process through threads and we'll see if anyone else has interest and we can all take this journey together!!

Smoov, I hope you succeed with your goals.  My best secret was making changes I could live with long term.  

When we prepare beef for hiking recipes we cook up 90/10 or better and then rinse it in a colander with running hot water.  Maybe this trick can be useful.

Maybe try to replace saturated fats with healthy fats?

Thanks for the support.

7 pounds down after 1 week. Good start.

And my research has led me to the very real possibility of low fat sausage. I have tried a commercial fat replacement product in the past but didn't care for the mouth feel. Today I read about using either flax seeds or soy protein isolate in an emulsion. This emulsion can be used as a 1 to 1 replacement for animal fat. And it supposedly works well with lean protein so turkey or chicken breast can be in play.

Off to do some experimenting!