Guess it is time to become active in this subforum...

SmoovD

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Took a bit of a hit over the holidays but the last few weeks have put me back on track. 103 lbs down. Off all blood pressure meds. Next up is the cholesterol med. If my labs continue to maintain lower levels I should be off that as well.

This week my SWMBO hit the 75 lbs down mark. So proud of her.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:04 PM, SmoovD said:

Off all blood pressure meds.

I cannot get my Doc to give in on the BP meds. I run 115-120 over 68-73 routinely. I have a high quality at home monitor yet my Doc's nurse  last took the in office official spyhg....and got 120/70.

My wife is down 30#. Clothes not fitting-too big. :good:

M.

Man you are doing great!

I've been following along reading each post as it hits and I have to ask you,

If you are doing low/er carbs and low fat, what the heck are you eating?

I'm not trolling, I need to drop at least 100 lbs myself and can't get her done.

Keto got me 15 lbs but my wife made fun of it to her family and friends so I went back to max carb eating and quickly added back the 15 and gained 15 more.

Lastly which "popular" diet plan are you using, if I may ask?

A person must learn to be creative in the kitchen because the "healthy" choices are limited. Thankfully, my family is supportive and since I do most of the cooking we walk a fine line between eating what works and avoiding too much repetition. Lots of chicken breast, pork loin, and fish, with the occasional lean cut of beef and lamb. Non-starchy veggies and low-fructose fruits, leafy greens, and non-fat dairy pretty rounds out the menu. No potatoes, no rice, no sugar, no pasta.....but it isn't all bad. You get to try all sorts of recipes trying to soup-up chicken breasts for one more meal. Kidding,....sort of.

Learning how to substitute recipe ingredients is essential and part of the fun. Want mashed potatoes? How about mashed cauliflower, turnip, squash (some types), daikon, or radish instead. Want breaded chicken breast? Try crushed pork rinds or whey protein powder instead. Spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Non fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Cauliflower is so versatile that it is almost crazy. Alfredo sauce, to rice, to pizza crusts, to tortillas....good thing my family like cauliflower.

Both my wife and I joined WW last January and it works for us. This is mostly low fat foods and taking responsibility for goes into our bodies. Based on my health, I also included lower carb restriction. I was not interested in keto but I also knew that I had been eating way too many carbs so I decided to keep carbs between 25-30 grams/day, on average. Also cut out added sugars as well as limiting natural sugars. 

I try to not think of my new eating habits as it as making one big change (latest fad diet) as much as a bunch of little changes (better options and better decisions). If I encounter an issue with a minor change I can deal it and endeavor to make a better decision the next time. 

Okay, that's what I was doing when I tried keto, having a support system makes all the difference I guess.

Cooking keto for one is next to impossible when there's only two eating and the other meals are the exact opposite of keto.

Way too much planning and WAY too many dirty pots/pans/etc..

Guess I'll try to eat way less of the bad and much more of the good.

A support system has helped me. It aids in keeping me focused. As much as I don't care for group meetings, there is the occasional topic that I can incorporate into my daily routine of trying to make better decisions. I think I have a better handle on what and why I used to eat the way I did. 

You hit the nail on the head with meal planning. It is a pain in the neck but I have to admit that it is one of the keys to my loss. We plan meals whether in the home or out at a restaurant. Also, WW converts foods into a points system based on nutritional information. The WW app is quite helpful in try to determine and the track food/points.

You can take control of what you put into your body. It is one of those "simple" things but "simple" doesn't mean "easy".

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 6:42 AM, Chasdev said:

Guess I'll try to eat way less of the bad and much more of the good.

@ChasdevThere are tons of food choices that are Keto friendly but not given that moniker by whoever. Pulled pork is an excellent Keto friendly food. I just ate a Chipotle Keto friendly bowl that uses pulled pork as an ingredient.

My wife was not into healthy Keto but I made some very tasty stuff and she swung around to healthy Keto. In some ways she is now a great example of healthy Keto.

Any form of Keto is a great method for 1. weight loss, 2. optimizing your body functions. One or both forms of Keto can be done together or individually.

Weight loss is a huge business. Many weight  loss purveyors claim their system is the one. Healthy Keto  is mostly DIY and free.

Is healthy living methods a big business? It appears that it only make sense to those who let themselves get into a health scare. 

Are eating habit changes a pain in the rear? You bet. Is optimizing you body functions by doing something you can control worth it..... Absolutely.

M.

@SmoovD you rock!  Your persistence  and resolve in themselves say it all. I have converted to a maintenance, if you will, mode for a few months now. As we know habits are hard to break but I have found the newer better food intake habits have become ingrained. I still look longingly at sugars but I find my first thoughts are toward remembering they did not do my health any favors.

M.