Jump to content

Mark_from_Quebec

Kamado Joe Cast Iron reversible griddle has a lot of surface defects, normal?

Recommended Posts

I just received my KJ Big Joe reversible Cast Iron griddle and it seems to have a lot of surface defects, lots of small gauges, or small areas where the surface is not smooth and jagged from a spec sticking out.

 

i attached a picture but I’m not sure it does it justice, I just wanted to know if this is a product defect or do all their Cast Iron surfaces have this issue? I just haven’t seen it on other Cast Iron products I have purchased.

 

 

B840B403-D41A-4253-BF0F-86489BBDF387.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

I just received my KJ Big Joe reversible Cast Iron griddle and it seems to have a lot of surface defects, lots of small gauges, or small areas where the surface is not smooth and jagged from a spec sticking out.

 

i attached a picture but I’m not sure it does it justice, I just wanted to know if this is a product defect or do all their Cast Iron surfaces have this issue? I just haven’t seen it on other Cast Iron products I have purchased.

 

 

B840B403-D41A-4253-BF0F-86489BBDF387.jpeg

 

I think it would season and cook ok.  Personally, If I were manufacturing that I wouldn’t have let it out the door to a customer and if I received it I’d send it back.

 

i had one for classic and it didn’t look like that.  Re-homed it b/c I didn’t use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freddyjbbq said:

 

I think it would season and cook ok.  Personally, If I were manufacturing that I wouldn’t have let it out the door to a customer and if I received it I’d send it back.

 

i had one for classic and it didn’t look like that.  Re-homed it b/c I didn’t use it. 

Ok thanks for confirming what I was thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine also had lots of defects, very poor quality. I ground mine down as smooth as possible and then reasoned it. Has worked well for me since. Before I ground it down there were a couple of spots that were so rough it was difficult to get a spatula under the meat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

........ Before I ground it down there were a couple of spots that were so rough it was difficult to get a spatula under the meat.

 

I have to think that the KJ company isn’t aware of the poor quality, thinking that if they hear about it, they would send another to resolve short-term and then investigate root cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look like pretty bad surface defects. That griddle should never have left the KJ factory. It reminded me of

our trip to Tenn. last fall. We were in the Lodge Factory Outlet store purchasing a few items and looked

into a bin of cast iron griddles which were marked as "seconds". We had to ask one of the clerks why the product

were "seconds" and she showed us a few that had one or two very minor divots in the surface no larger than a spec

of fine grained sand. If you didn't know what you were looking for you would never notice it. The clerk also mentioned

that Lodge gives the same warranty to its "seconds" as it does to all its other CI. Nice to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some CI pan manufacturers lavish time on grinding the cooking surface smooth (i.e., Stargazer).  You pay dearly for that.  Others send their products out with pebbly finish (Lodge).  Many users buy the less costly pans and griddles and polish the cooking surfaces themselves.

 

Youtube is full of videos on the smoothing process.  Pits are more troublesome to remedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day I don’t think it would have any impact to the cook but I’m happy to report that the store I purchased from had engaged Kamado Joe and I have already been advised that a replacement was sent out, I can’t complain about the customer service and mistakes happen, I don’t hold it against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 8:59 AM, freddyjbbq said:

 

I think it would season and cook ok.  Personally, If I were manufacturing that I wouldn’t have let it out the door to a customer and if I received it I’d send it back.

 

i had one for classic and it didn’t look like that.  Re-homed it b/c I didn’t use it. 

 

Its loving its new home! And no defects I have ever noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

At the end of the day I don’t think it would have any impact to the cook...

Stuff didn't seem to release well from the Lodge factory pebble finish so I set out to improve it.

  • I overlaid more seasoning.  It was still poor non-stick.
  • I removed the factory seasoning and that which I had overlaid, and re-seasoned it.  Nope.  Still not what I wanted.
  • I stripped it, ground and polished the cooking surface before re-seasoning it.  Much better results.

I think the smooth surfaces are better for things that are inclined to stick, like eggs and raw-fried potatoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pmillen said:

I think the smooth surfaces are better for things that are inclined to stick, like eggs and raw-fried potatoes.

 

i have experienced similar results with my Stargazer CI Skillet.  i has a smooth cooking surface and i love it!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×