RevNayte

First weekend on the Joe

First weekend with the new toy, decided to make the most of it. I made a rosemary garlic cider-can chicken (one of our dinner guests is gluten-free), some venison link sausage, a 15 lb Texas-style brisket for an event, and a couple of pizzas. I forgot to take pictures of the brisket/wasn't pleased enough with the results to share much about it. 

The chicken came out great; it finished earlier than I anticipated and I dried it out a tiny bit reheating in the conventional oven, since I already had the brisket on for the next day. Sausage alwaysa winner, and the pizzas were really fun. It did spell the end of my "not designed for kamado use" pizza stone, though. Still experimenting with lump that I was given with the pit and some I had around; need something better for long cooks, for sure. 

IMG_6195.jpeg

IMG_6205.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg

Looks plenty good to me. Chicken looks nice and  moist. Wow that's a bunch of food, you feeding an army? That rosemary, garlic mix, with what looks like olive oil is beautiful and so fresh, bet it smelled great. I frequently use apple cider to marinate both pork roasts and poultry, I mix in a bit of orange juice to give a bright fruity autumn like taste that goes good with savory garlic. What happened to your old pizza stone? Looks like your off and cooking, friend. 

6 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Looks plenty good to me. Chicken looks nice and  moist. Wow that's a bunch of food, you feeding an army? That rosemary, garlic mix, with what looks like olive oil is beautiful and so fresh, bet it smelled great. I frequently use apple cider to marinate both pork roasts and poultry, I mix in a bit of orange juice to give a bright fruity autumn like taste that goes good with savory garlic. What happened to your old pizza stone? Looks like your off and cooking, friend. 

Good eye on the rosemary garlic olive oil salt and pepper. 

My old pizza stone was made for conventional ovens. Being new to this and generally skeptical of branded goods, I thought it would do just fine at 800 degrees in the Joe. It broke. 

Anybody wanna point me to the best pizza stone and setup threads and debates?

10 hours ago, RevNayte said:

Anybody wanna point me to the best pizza stone and setup threads and debates?

In terms of a stone, most of us favor a ceramic stone made with Cordierite. It is the same kind of stone they use in ceramic kilns and is capable of handling high heat. You can find them on amazon at a range of prices. I would look for a 5/8 or 3/4 " thick  stone probably in the 14 to 15 " diameter range. I only make 12" pizzas cause they are easy to handle and if  we want more quantity I can make two or three with different toppings. 

We have a Pizza  / Baking section on the forum . I would go through that because  there is a whole host of posts that are extremely helpful on a wide range of pizza related topics. 

For a set up, most use 2 stones  stacked on top of each other with a 1 3/4 to 2 inch air space in between the two. Some folks use metal end caps or T's any thing that will support the top stone without rolling.  We all kind of do pretty much the same thing in different ways. There is a really good Man Cave video from John Setzler that shows the pizza process, I looked for it for you but could not find it.

Here is a pic of my set up on a green egg to give you and idea of what folks use. 

I now use kiln shelf supports to make an air space between my deflector and the pizza stone. My supports are 1 5/8 x 1 5/8 X 2 so I can have a  15/8 or a 2 inch air space.  You certainly don't have to get  fancy supports, although the supports I bought  are dirt cheap on amazon. I think mine were A dollar something each.  I used to use three 3/4 inch copper elbows laid flat on the bottom stone with the pizza stone setting on top of that. 

IMG_0297.thumb.jpg.4faddfdda50adc88ea217841eaf65849.jpg

The air space allows some heat control so you get a nice toasty bottom crust  and your toppings heat through and melt completely. If you use only one stone there is a good chance your pizza bottom will burn before the topping are where you want them. Same thing applies if you just stack the stones without the air space. A final tip is that each individual dough recipe is made to be cooked at a specific temperature based on the hydration of the dough, and the ingredients involved. ingredients like oil, sugar, and such can not take as much heat. 800 degrees is pretty much Neapolitan type pizza. A good book on pizza that really explains dough recipes, hydration, and cooking methods is the " Elements Of Pizza" by Ken Forkish. You can get that on amazon as well. I will keep looking for Johns video, it's really great. Hope this helps. 

This is what my current pizza set up looks like. 

IMG_0298.thumb.jpg.75477e593fb7265311267c465fc4f21d.jpg