Charcoal Addict

Fresh ground Flour vs store bought

I just bought the grains container for my Vitamix.  I want to make small batches of fresh flour for some breads.  I’ve always bought my flours for bread making from stores.  This will be my first foray into making my own whole grain flours.  

Getting a grain mill did not make any sense since I only make a loaf or two at a time. 

How of many of you are grinding your own fresh flour vs just using store bought flours? 

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

I have seen this done before. I could not find it on this forum; therefore, it was probably a YouTube video. I just don't remember where I might have seen it.

The big advantage is better nutrition & taste.

Store bought flour has a lot of preservatives added to whole grain flour to max out the shelf life.  You’re store bought flours often contain..,  

• Calcium propanoate.
  • Sodium benzoate.
  • Tricalcium phosphate.
  • Butylated hydroxyanisole.

26 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The big advantage is better nutrition & taste.

Store bought flour has a lot of preservatives added to whole grain flour to max out the shelf life.  You’re store bought flours often contain..,  

• Calcium propanoate.
  • Sodium benzoate.
  • Tricalcium phosphate.
  • Butylated hydroxyanisole.

love me some Butylated hydroxyanisole! thats where the flavours at!! :afro:

1 hour ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

I mill my flour fresh, much better nutrition and taste is much better,   This is picture of my sourdough Ezekiel style bread that my co-workers and my family really like taste of.  

C5A4B171-CA00-4929-A784-6F08C8175CB1.jpeg

55D90EE1-6C00-4C5C-841A-9E54969BB024.jpeg

CD014D5D-7BCB-48D4-BFC9-645FD73B57F7.jpeg

707DB772-C4D0-4886-A2D4-8EF2D157D59A.jpeg

85286AF1-B17C-4D71-9D0B-1A3E1DBBBEAD.jpeg

I’m curious to see how the Vitamix Grain container will handle small batches.  I won’t be making batches as large as yours.  The Nutri-Mill is a very impressive Bosch flour grinding gadget.  

I thought about getting a NutriMill but I never make more than one loaf at a time. 

I'm fortunate enough to have a fairly local miller who still uses the water wheel to power his mill and uses all local organic grains for his flours.  The flavor is out of this world, but I buy in small quantities, no preservatives means a short shelf life so I keep it in the refrigerator until the night before baking.

Use fresh when every possible, it's worth the effort.

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

1 hour ago, BBQ Bob said:

I'm fortunate enough to have a fairly local miller who still uses the water wheel to power his mill and uses all local organic grains for his flours.  The flavor is out of this world, but I buy in small quantities, no preservatives means a short shelf life so I keep it in the refrigerator until the night before baking.

Use fresh when every possible, it's worth the effort.

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

Wowza! some great looking cooks right here!!