JoeC

Question About Cold Weather Cooking

Not new to Kamado Joe, but have never cooked on one in the cold temperatures.  My question is, is it best to start your fire a certain way, are there certain temps you don't want to reach...  concerned about the affects and potential for cracking.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

50325171_282325092456924_4882662673432444928_n.png?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-3.fna&oh=16f3be739780f5e2eae68bc5bb776557&oe=5CCED10C

Being from North Louisiana we don't usually get extremely cold weather. That being said, I have cooked in the mid 20's.  Just start the lump the normal way I always do.  It does take longer to come up to temp because the ceramics  are colder but I bring mine up slow anyway.

I start smaller fires in cold weather to allow everything to gradually heat soak, placing my plate(s) in if I am going to use them. But, that's about the limit of my precautions. I cook low & slow and higher temps. Though, I don't like the idea of having to walk my steaming hot steak twenty-five feet through freezing weather to get into the house. :-D

6 hours ago, JoeC said:

Not new to Kamado Joe, but have never cooked on one in the cold temperatures.  My question is, is it best to start your fire a certain way, are there certain temps you don't want to reach...  concerned about the affects and potential for cracking.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in north Alabama...on some of the colder days close to what you're seeing, start with a small fire and bring it up slowly to whatever temp you need.  All will be fine, just don't try to do a high-temp pizza cook without a good warm up.  Many of us on here have cooked in freezing temps/snow without any problems.

1 hour ago, benthemayor said:

From Quebec city,

You don't have to worry about it!

Hah... I was going to say wear a jacket but that is barely below freezing.  Monday isn't going to be fun at 15f.  I have a couple chihuahuas so I have to clear the snow so they can do their business.  While outside, I dragged the junior out and did a nice rib steak.  It was about 10F/-12c with 40 mph winds.  If I remember correctly, we got over 2 feet of snow on this one.

I did modify my starting technique and closed the lid and removed the top vent and had the bottom wide open.  It was mostly to keep the snow out more than anything else.  It is always grilling season.

junior3.thumb.jpg.35fd2cd20c306e3149e73aadbe337da6.jpg

junior1.thumb.jpg.39d1938574082eb6dcd253fd390c4a29.jpg

17 minutes ago, Panchango said:

It is always grilling season.

Nuh uh, I spent my whole working career in those kinds of conditions.   Doing various tasks (climbing poles, moving snow etc.). It ain't always grilling season at my house.  I don't mind snow, rain or heat but when you mix in 30+ mph winds, I'll be indoors curled up next to the fire in my recliner.:woot:

Edited by BURGER MEISTER

4 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Nuh uh, I spent my whole working career in those kinds of conditions.   Doing various tasks (climbing poles, moving snow etc.). It ain't always grilling season at my house.  I don't mind snow, rain or heat but when you mix in 30+ mph winds, I'll be indoors curled up next to the fire in my recliner.:woot:

The funny thing is that I lived a short time in Clackamas, Or and I was colder there than I ever am here.  Something about the winds off the gorge that just went right through me.  It was cool having flowers on the trees through Thanksgiving, but the rainy season was miserable...

I've lived and worked here in this area for a while, but worked in Or, Wa, Id, Nv, Ut and some in Cal.   Blizzards in SLC were probably the worse, but ice storms in the gorge area are another world.  After awhile enough ice covering everything, and the weight starts to break stuff.   When I was in Spokane, was working on a project that required me to take my gloves off and took more time than it should have and the wind chill factor that day was -70 f.   It's good to be retired.  The PNW winter weather, love it or leave.:rofl:

That’s nothing.  Do what you normally do, your grill will take longer to get to temp & you’ll use more lump in the cold.  That’s about it.

29 F is nothing.  That’s not even cold.  We’re at zero right now, I’m roasting up some meatballs it’s 0 F and dropping down to -4 F.  

Your lump bill goes up in the winter.  Aside from that it’s business as usual. 

B3AA3DB2-FB0A-442F-8495-CFC2A2F2219D.png

52 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

29 F is nothing.  That’s not even cold.  We’re at zero right now, I’m roasting up some meatballs it’s 0 F and dropping down to -4 F.

Gotta love our Canadian neighbors - resourceful and adaptable...LOL!

h4smr1515993329.jpg.4294adb8040dfc0518d40b04f18994b0.jpg

On 1/17/2019 at 11:21 PM, K_sqrd said:

Gotta love our Canadian neighbors - resourceful and adaptable...LOL!

h4smr1515993329.jpg.4294adb8040dfc0518d40b04f18994b0.jpg

LOL....So Funny.

Every time we hear about Canadians (or even worst, Quebecers and make us sound like retarded while speakin), In American TV shows or movies, It's always like we are from the 1700's and still live in the woods :). When I think about it.... that's almost true lol

Well, it's -30 C outside right now (that would be -22 F for you SOB's - South of Border :) ), BEFORE any wind chill and other than the extra effort of getting the cover off (it's frozen stiff!!) I don't do much different other than a longer warm up time - I give it an extra 30 minutes or so when pre-heating.  We're roasting a chicken tonight!

My vent setting are all pretty close to the same as when it's warm out....though I have a Keg (insulated metal), not ceramic, so I suspect a ceramic MAY bleed a bit more heat so may require a slight adjustment?  That's just a guess though...no actual experience.

I would start slow though and let it come to temp slowly as to not stress the ceramic myself...