freddyjbbq

Supersmoke ain’t no joke!!

2 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Here’s a coupla USDA prime tri tips 

super smoke 200f until IT around 120f then  channeled a bolt of lightening from the Gods to sear the outside!

What temperature were they cooked to?

6 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

Love me some Tri Tip, I wish it wans't so expensive around here. I can get boneless Ribeye for less than it costs.

thats messed up!!

these ones were prime grade and just about $20 for a 3#'er

worth it!!

It’s my observation that pellet pits produce smoke when a pile of pellets are dumped into the firebox and smolder before burning.  So, typically, if a user wants more smoke, more pellets need to be dropped.  But that creates a larger fire and causes temperature swings.  I don’t worry too much about ±20-25° temperature swings vis-à-vis food quality (although some pitmasters agonize over it) but it affect’s the finish time and can make it difficult to simultaneously finish the sides so that all items are served at once.

How well does your pit hold to your set temperature when in the supersmoke mode?

Do you have the equipment to graph (and share) the pit’s temperature over a few hours in supersmoke?

41 minutes ago, pmillen said:

How well does your pit hold to your set temperature when in the supersmoke mode?

Do you have the equipment to graph (and share) the pit’s temperature over a few hours in supersmoke?

Temp swings:  To be honest  ive never really paid a much attention to them (or better yet reacted to them) regardless of the grill i'm using at the time whether kamado or pellet.  the timberlines seem to operate within +/-5f (sometimes 10f) while its doing its thing.  I havent noticed any difference when its in supersmoke mode; perhaps its because it still operates in the same range.  i'm sure that if it was a large swing i would notice and wonder if it ran out of pellets or had a grease fire or something.

Graph:  Nah.    i have the Flameboss 200 wifi  which i could use (which i'm selling) to do that but to be honest, i more of a low/medium/high guy when it comes to graphs & the like. 

my focus is more on recipes and food with little complication and less on the equipment, graphs, gadgets and the like.  I recently saw this in @John Setzler signature line and couldn't and it perfectly sums up my feelings whether cooking on Kamado, Pellet, WFO, Gas Grill, microwave oven, etc

gospel according to johnny s.JPG