Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
lunchman

Fried Grilled Chicken Thighs

Recommended Posts

It's been driving me crazy trying to remember who (and where) recommended Lefty's Spices Fish n' Chicken Mix. My thanks to @Big Biscuit for the recommendation. This stuff is incredibly good. Oddly enough, I'd asked the Mrs to buy it as a Christmas gift. (Yeah, she reaps the benefits). I used it a few days ago on cauliflower, which turned out excellent and gave it a go last nite on chicken thighs. These were done not on either of my Kamados, but on my Weber kettle.  Sorry this isn't Kamado based, but I wanted to give a shout out to @Big Biscuit.

 

My grilling method for these is similar to the one I use from Adrenaline BBQ for Buffalo WIngs. 20 minutes indirect, spray with EVOO, flip, spray, 20 more minutes, flip, 20 more minutes. So nearly an hour indirect on the grill using the SlowNSear, but a dark meat like thighs or wings can easily take it and remain juicy. 

 

Some pics:

 

After about 40 minutes on the Kettle -

 

20190116_184831_zpsyrzybf42.jpg

 

Served with some stuffed mushrooms -

 

20190116_190753_zpsnfpk6vpf.jpg

 

Unbelievably crispy skin, you'd think these were done in a fryer. But, I swear these were done on a Weber kettle -

 

20190116_190948_zpsi1z93hkt.jpg

 

And quite juicy -

 

20190116_191052_zpsxv461fa4.jpg

 

Anyway, I highly recommend Lefty's, next up I'll give it a go on fish. And perhaps grill it on the Goldens' or the Keg.

 

Regards,

-lunchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 7:00 PM, lunchman said:

It's been driving me crazy trying to remember who (and where) recommended Lefty's Spices Fish n' Chicken Mix. My thanks to @Big Biscuit for the recommendation. This stuff is incredibly good. Oddly enough, I'd asked the Mrs to buy it as a Christmas gift. (Yeah, she reaps the benefits). I used it a few days ago on cauliflower, which turned out excellent and gave it a go last nite on chicken thighs. These were done not on either of my Kamados, but on my Weber kettle.  Sorry this isn't Kamado based, but I wanted to give a shout out to @Big Biscuit.

 

My grilling method for these is similar to the one I use from Adrenaline BBQ for Buffalo WIngs. 20 minutes indirect, spray with EVOO, flip, spray, 20 more minutes, flip, 20 more minutes. So nearly an hour indirect on the grill using the SlowNSear, but a dark meat like thighs or wings can easily take it and remain juicy. 

 

Some pics:

 

After about 40 minutes on the Kettle -

 

20190116_184831_zpsyrzybf42.jpg

 

Served with some stuffed mushrooms -

 

20190116_190753_zpsnfpk6vpf.jpg

 

Unbelievably crispy skin, you'd think these were done in a fryer. But, I swear these were done on a Weber kettle -

 

20190116_190948_zpsi1z93hkt.jpg

 

And quite juicy -

 

20190116_191052_zpsxv461fa4.jpg

 

Anyway, I highly recommend Lefty's, next up I'll give it a go on fish. And perhaps grill it on the Goldens' or the Keg.

 

Regards,

-lunchman

Those chicken thighs look fantastic. I bounce back and forth between my KJ and Weber Kettle all the time. They both do a fantastic job with chicken. I haven't made these in a while so thanks for the inspiration lunchman. :woot: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got the last bag (according to Amazon) of the spicy just now...

 

im gonna try that on some chicken breasteses

 

thanks for the idea and the name of the product... i sure wish the weather would break so i could get to cooking!

 

no shelter for the primo yet... and seems to rain every weekend!

 

come on SPRINGTIME!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the kind words.  I finally got a chance to try Lefty's on fish - again, the results were outstanding.  No pics, sorry.  I seasoned some Pollock first in an egg wash,  then with Lefty's and then out onto the Goldens' - you'd swear this fish was breaded.  Made for a great Po'Boy the next day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got my bag of lefty's spicy yesterday!

 

@lunchman, i forgot to ask in my last post...

 

is the dredge you use the same as any other artery-clogging morsel of the gods?

 

buttermilk, mix, buttermilk, mix and cook?

 

what did you do to the white broccoli when you cooked that? i have roasted it before, in the oven, and it was very good (other spice cabinet random grab-a55 mix)...

 

my wife is deathly allergic to shellfish, so i was thinking I might find a pollock or other white-fish to put it on and use the same method you used for the chicken to produce a crispy (hopefully) fish dish... and anything else i can think of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

got my bag of lefty's spicy yesterday!

 

@lunchman, i forgot to ask in my last post...

 

is the dredge you use the same as any other artery-clogging morsel of the gods?

 

buttermilk, mix, buttermilk, mix and cook?

 

what did you do to the white broccoli when you cooked that? i have roasted it before, in the oven, and it was very good (other spice cabinet random grab-a55 mix)...

 

my wife is deathly allergic to shellfish, so i was thinking I might find a pollock or other white-fish to put it on and use the same method you used for the chicken to produce a crispy (hopefully) fish dish... and anything else i can think of

 

 

The Lefty's package instructions to make a 1:4 mix of Lefty's:Water for a wet mix seemed a bit much for the cauliflower and would be a waste of product, so I simply drizzled EVOO over the pieces in a bowl, then sprinkled on some dry mix until they were coated the way I wanted. I then roasted them in the oven at 400 for 40 minutes or so. 

 

I made up the wet mix per the package directions for the chicken thighs, dipped them in,  then dredged them into the dry mix to coat. 

 

When I made the pollock, I decided to dip the pieces into an egg/milk wash, then dredge them into the dry mix to coat. I still have some pieces in the fridge, these aren't the most appetizing looking pics as the fish is cold, but they'll have to do. (More Po'Boys for lunch today!)

 

20190129_095931_zps3dzu2kfy.jpg

 

-Dom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lunchman said:

 

 

The Lefty's package instructions to make a 1:4 mix of Lefty's:Water for a wet mix seemed a bit much for the cauliflower and would be a waste of product, so I simply drizzled EVOO over the pieces in a bowl, then sprinkled on some dry mix until they were coated the way I wanted. I then roasted them in the oven at 400 for 40 minutes or so. 

 

I made up the wet mix per the package directions for the chicken thighs, dipped them in,  then dredged them into the dry mix to coat. 

 

When I made the pollock, I decided to dip the pieces into an egg/milk wash, then dredge them into the dry mix to coat. I still have some pieces in the fridge, these aren't the most appetizing looking pics as the fish is cold, but they'll have to do. (More Po'Boys for lunch today!)

 

20190129_095931_zps3dzu2kfy.jpg

 

-Dom

cold fish is fine... goes good on an AM biscuit as well...

 

thanks for the info!

 

when i cook it/them up, i'll post here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×