philpom

Huge ribeye well done - ha

Looks super tasty!! Have you ever tried cooking frozen steaks without defrosting them first? 

argument for not thawing before cooking.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/34922-want-the-best-steak-of-your-life-dont-thaw-the-steaks-before-cooking-them

Different style obviously than grilling but I think the same principle holds true. I actually tried it with a frozen steak and have to say it didn't have the same consistency that thawed steaks have. I don't buy bulk amounts of steaks so rarely cook frozen steaks but I have to say cooking frozen tasted better to me than thawing them first. Although hey, it's a killer looking rib eye so splitting hairs but that's what forums are for right?

I reversed seared. cooked at 220 until it comes to about 110. take it off and get the Kamado really hot. while it's cranking up the steak temp continues to rise to  120 or 125 while it's resting. when it drops back down to around 115 I sear em on the lower grate a minute or two one each side. Let it rest and it ends up right around 130/135

2 hours ago, helliger said:

Looks super tasty!! Have you ever tried cooking frozen steaks without defrosting them first? 

argument for not thawing before cooking.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/34922-want-the-best-steak-of-your-life-dont-thaw-the-steaks-before-cooking-them

Different style obviously than grilling but I think the same principle holds true. I actually tried it with a frozen steak and have to say it didn't have the same consistency that thawed steaks have. I don't buy bulk amounts of steaks so rarely cook frozen steaks but I have to say cooking frozen tasted better to me than thawing them first. Although hey, it's a killer looking rib eye so splitting hairs but that's what forums are for right?

I reversed seared. cooked at 220 until it comes to about 110. take it off and get the Kamado really hot. while it's cranking up the steak temp continues to rise to  120 or 125 while it's resting. when it drops back down to around 115 I sear em on the lower grate a minute or two one each side. Let it rest and it ends up right around 130/135

One thing we do cook from frozen are burgers unless we are doing smash burgers.  We make our patties in advance, freeze them individually and then freeze them in packs of 4.  I like them that way better than cooking them thawed.

For steak I do them frozen in the sous vide (but that isn't what we are talking about here) but I normally thaw and toss on a very hot grill for a couple of minutes and call them done.  If they are really thick and I want to nail the cook I'll sous vide and then sear on a really hot grill.  Perhaps I'll try this with some that are on the thinner side, closed to 1.5 inches and see what happens.  I like the idea that they lose less wait when cooked from frozen, juicier and maybe that is why I like my burgers that way.