Sign in to follow this  
philpom

Great skillet suggestion?

13 hours ago, philpom said:

This pan looks great but I found this from Ozeri if one is concerned.  Confusing....

Answer:
Hey Amazon Customer, the pan does contain PTFE and pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases and a sublimate. An animal study conducted in 1955 concluded that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F). 
While PTFE is stable and nontoxic at lower temperatures, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F). The degradation by-products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans—see polymer fume fever. 
Meat is usually fried between 204 and 232 °C (399 and 450 °F), and most oils start to smoke before a temperature of 260 °C (500 °F) is reached, but there are at least two cooking oils (refined safflower oil at 265 °C (510 °F) and avocado oil at 271 °C (520 °F)) that have a higher smoke point. 

Our pans are designed to be used with low to medium-high heat and never exceed a certain temperature setting. 

If you want to ensure safety of your birds, we do have the Green Earth Pan that is both PFOA and PTFE free. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach us at support@ozeri.com see less 

By Ozeri Customer Service on November 1, 2018

Yes, it did seem that this pan had an inordinate amount of  warnings and explanations. I did a little research to refresh my memory on these "P" substances. I concluded that, for my purposes and habits, I could use this pan safely. It will probably never go in the oven - even though it should be safe up to a certain temperature - and I have no birds in the house.
Thanks for highlighting this for any potential buyers.
"Caveat Emptor"