Sign in to follow this  
philpom

Great skillet suggestion?

Time for a new non-stick skillet, the old one isn't what it use to be.  With all the new products on the market I'm looking for some insight.  Must be large, durable, even heating, non-stick and dishwasher safe.  Prefer round.

Any material preference? Also, I'm assuming the handle must be able to put into and left on your grill without melting. Or are looking for a nonstick(teflon) pan for inside range and ovens?

1 hour ago, St1brew said:

Any material preference? Also, I'm assuming the handle must be able to put into and left on your grill without melting. Or are looking for a nonstick(teflon) pan for inside range and ovens?

Something primarily for stove top, would never be in or on a grill.  Oven safe is a strong plus.  Non-stick but not teflon.

Love my(American made) Calphalon but that is Teflon. I would check out the local TJ Maxx for a great skillet at a reasonable price. The one around us always has tons of nice pans for great prices. I hear good things about All-Clad stainless steel for heat retention and uniform heating but unfortunately have no experience with them. They are usually in stock at my local TJM. I also really enjoyed my copper bottom Revere ware, but that was over 14 years ago. I am not sure of the current quality as mine was a hand me down from an aunt and was more vintage(70s or 80s). They were workhorses. Hope some others chime in because I'm always "in search of" as well.

35 minutes ago, St1brew said:

Love my(American made) Calphalon but that is Teflon. I would check out the local TJ Maxx for a great skillet at a reasonable price. The one around us always has tons of nice pans for great prices. I hear good things about All-Clad stainless steel for heat retention and uniform heating but unfortunately have no experience with them. They are usually in stock at my local TJM. I also really enjoyed my copper bottom Revere ware, but that was over 14 years ago. I am not sure of the current quality as mine was a hand me down from an aunt and was more vintage(70s or 80s). They were workhorses. Hope some others chime in because I'm always "in search of" as well.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out TJ Maxx if I can find one.  I'm replacing a Cuisinart teflon skillet.  We have Tramontina triply-clad pots, pans and skillets but I always try to keep a good non-stick in the mix.  I see all of these ceramic this, rocktop that, not sure what is good these days and what is just smoke and mirrors.

3 minutes ago, philpom said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out TJ Maxx if I can find one.  I'm replacing a Cuisinart teflon skillet.  We have Tramontina triply-clad pots, pans and skillets but I always try to keep a good non-stick in the mix.  I see all of these ceramic this, rocktop that, not sure what is good these days and what is just smoke and mirrors.

I don't know much about the rocktops. But if you can't find a TJM, I believe that Homegoods and Marshalls are also in the same stable.

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond looking to replace an old scratched Calphalon sautée pan and could not  find one in the size I was looking for. I saw this Zwilling  / JA Henckels and picked it up. Really heavy, solid, stainless handle and  construction and the non stick seems very durable so far. Can't remember what I paid for it, but don't remember it being that expensive. Use it almost daily for mushroom, onions, tomatoes, eggs, bacon, etc.  and it works extremely well. Might be worth looking at, anyway. Good luck on your search.

IMG_0301.thumb.jpg.747982538ba47594bb810de535c5033a.jpg

This isn't a well known brand but I have the 10 and my wife has abused it for over a year now and it looks as good as when I got it for her. It is very well made and actually cooks similar to a CI pan, takes a while to heat up and retains heat well. I actually find myself grabbing it, instead of my SS pan for a lot of cooks. They used to only make the 10 inch but now have a full lineup of sizes. So far it's been the best non stick pan I have ever owned, plus the wife loves it, so how can you go wrong. https://www.happycallusa.com/collections/happycall-titanium-frying-pan

I've been using this for a couple of months. It's well made, heavy and super-slick. Takes heat slowly, seems to disperse it evenly. I have not had it in the oven
It's the only pan I've ever had of this composition, so I have nothing to compare it to...
I would buy it again.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Ceramic-Earth-Germany/dp/B07BFL94M1/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=ozeri+frying+pan&qid=1548173270&sr=8-7

6 hours ago, Rip said:

I've been using this for a couple of months. It's well made, heavy and super-slick. Takes heat slowly, seems to disperse it evenly. I have not had it in the oven
It's the only pan I've ever had of this composition, so I have nothing to compare it to...
I would buy it again.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Ceramic-Earth-Germany/dp/B07BFL94M1/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=ozeri+frying+pan&qid=1548173270&sr=8-7

I'd like to try one of these. 

16 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'd like to hear your opinion if you do.
I will say that I have managed to put a couple of small scratches on the cooking surface. I

attribute them to sloppy handling when I put it away in an overcrowded drawer with my CI pans.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, Jack 101 said:

If your budget is flexible, check out Hex-Clad Hybrid cookware.  Stainless, aluminum, and ceramic.  Very heavy, very non-stick. Metal utensil safe.

The price is right, they would look great on the pan rack with my try-ply but I have concerns about egg.  We use the non-stick for among other things lots of egg dishes like omelets.  I found one review that said it was great for everything besides eggs.  Do you own this and what is your opinion?  I'm looking at the 12.5" variety. 

On 1/22/2019 at 4:47 PM, ckreef said:
On 1/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, Rip said:

I would buy it again.

This pan looks great but I found this from Ozeri if one is concerned.  Confusing....

Answer:
Hey Amazon Customer, the pan does contain PTFE and pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases and a sublimate. An animal study conducted in 1955 concluded that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F). 
While PTFE is stable and nontoxic at lower temperatures, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F). The degradation by-products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans—see polymer fume fever. 
Meat is usually fried between 204 and 232 °C (399 and 450 °F), and most oils start to smoke before a temperature of 260 °C (500 °F) is reached, but there are at least two cooking oils (refined safflower oil at 265 °C (510 °F) and avocado oil at 271 °C (520 °F)) that have a higher smoke point. 

Our pans are designed to be used with low to medium-high heat and never exceed a certain temperature setting. 

If you want to ensure safety of your birds, we do have the Green Earth Pan that is both PFOA and PTFE free. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach us at support@ozeri.com see less 

By Ozeri Customer Service on November 1, 2018

15 minutes ago, philpom said:

The price is right, they would look great on the pan rack with my try-ply but I have concerns about egg.  We use the non-stick for among other things lots of egg dishes like omelets.  I found one review that said it was great for everything besides eggs.  Do you own this and what is your opinion?  I'm looking at the 12.5" variety. 

I have the 8" that I received as a gift.  I use it for small omelets, scrambled, and 2 sunny side up with the smallest amount of avocado oil spray with zero sticking issues.

If I did not have so many other pans and skillets, I would buy more of this brand, particularly their wok.