pmillen

"Baking With Steel" by Andris Lagsdin

There are discussions of pizza stones and general baking here and there on this forum.  Those of you who are interested in such may want to read Baking With Steel, primarily written by Andris Lagsdin.   You may want to explore a different method.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jose Andres Zapata
      For my second cook I decided to go with Pizza. So newbie on the Kamado and newbie at making pizza!

The dough - homemade. Being the first, I did not get too technical. Just testing the waters at this point. I made two pizzas, one mushrooms with pepperoni and a margherita. The sauce was home made.

The kamado was fired up and got it up to about 700*.  The grill was setup with the heat deflectors at the bottom and the pizza stone (bought separately) on top of the grill at the highest position.

The bottom was great. The top does not show well on the photo, it cam out better than it shows on the photos.
    • By rye2kolo
      Has anyone tried the Pizza Porta? Does it fit the B-Series?

Here is their website:

https://www.pizza-porta.com/shop

• By fbov
      We decided to do pizza Sunday, after Thanksgiving, and I only had 500g of Anna Napoletana Tipo 00 flour, so I did a second dough using Bob's Red Mill Artisan bread four.  Both made Thursday (Thanksgiving) at 65% hydration, split and refrigerator aged. Baked six pies in no specific order. 

Noticed a consistent doughiness from the Artisan flour pies. Did a cross section and was surprised by what I found.
      (Top: Artisan , Bottom: Tipo 00)

The lower pie has (from the bottom) three layers, nice open bread dough, a red sauce layer, and toppings dominated by white cheese. 
      The upper pie has four layers, bread dough topped by a dense, white layer, then red sauce and toppings. 

It appears that the bread flour doughs absorbed moisture and formed an interface layer that doesn't cook, even at 800F. None of the three Tipo 00 pies had this layer, despite using the same pot of sauce, bowl of grated mozzarella, and toppings on most pies. A "leftover" pie made using turkey gravy as sauce was especially doughy.

Looks like I need to stock more Tipo 00 in the pantry. 
      Frank
    • By Bryant Kamado
      300℃ and 10 minutes, the skills is how to put the pizza upper on the paddle :)) 

• By KJTerp
      Sound off everyone! What's the plan for this weekend?

I'm thinking pizza one night, and trying a smoked chuck roast/poor mans burnt ends for the other.

Both of these will be firsts for me. I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do the pizza based one what ive read here, and my experience with the devil hotbox inside the house, but any advice/input on the chuck roast would be appreciated. I've braised plenty, but this will be the first smoked one. I was planning on treating it exactly like brisket, with just a shorter overall cook time.