pmillen

Dust Inside a Pellet Pit

I used to find dust-like material in my pit.  It was probably on my food, too.  One day, while searing meat on my pit’s direct flame portion, I saw sparks blowing up from the fire pot.  The sparks were burning pellet dust that becomes ash when burned out.  It appears that the dust-like material in the pit was composed of pellet dust ash and unburned pellet dust that's augured in but blown upwards before igniting.

The more I clean my pellets the less of this I see.

Here’s a video of an easy to make pellet cleaner 

And here’s a drawing.

y4mxGTPEYLA0YQpCcKWg8LjhMj5auHA4XsRIPHD7

That vacuum is fine tuning. I have seen the ash and now know it is either burnt ash or pellet dust.

My wife has commented on the flavor of cooks when I use my pellet grill. I bet she is tasting some unburnt ash along with pellet dust and the wood flavor of the pellets I' m using.

I barely notice anything.

I wonder if the competition grillers are figuring this in when they use a pellet grill.

M.

Traeger sells bucket sifters and everyone is well aware of pellet dust.  Most don’t care....

if you dont don’t want to be as elaborate in this method...... try this

A-Waroom Cat Litter Sifter Scoop System (Green) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KFH9FKP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ixCsCb8C8231Y

last thing... grill maintenance.  Once a month I empty my pellet hopper and run the primer.  Then I reverse my vac line to a blower and blow the auger shaft from the hopper end.  No issues since owning these timberlines. 

1 hour ago, bosco said:

.........Then I reverse my vac line to a blower and blow the auger shaft from the hopper end.  No issues since owning these timberlines. 

Do you see much dust removal when you do this?  i'll be honest, i've not given much thought to pellet dust with the exception of vacuuming out the bottom of the cooking chamber while i vacuum out the burner pot.

John Setzler posted (italics) this my attention last Fall under the Rec Rec markdowns post I made:

"The most common problems I see with ALL pellet grills are user error.  I find it important to clean out the firepot after every cook.  I do that religiously.  I have a small shop vac that I use. I hit the firepot and the inside base of the grill to remove all the ash and dust and i have zero issues.  If you ignore that bit of maintenance, there are a lot of problems you can have."

So I do the fire pot as recommended and I have always been a "take care of your tools" fanatic.

Have not any experience with pellet dust in the auger. There is no mention of it in the owner's manual. Maybe it should be, or is it one of those items long time pellet grillers have learned via long time ownership.

Any other of us pellet grillers have any info on blowing out the auger shaft, as @boscodoes? 

M.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:37 AM, freddyjbbq said:

Do you see much dust removal when you do this?  i'll be honest, i've not given much thought to pellet dust with the exception of vacuuming out the bottom of the cooking chamber while i vacuum out the burner pot.

The first few times I did it I used a vacuum that collected the pellet dust in the bottom of the machine.  I would get more than a cup of fines per 40-lb. bag.  I subsequently switched to a shop vac with a drywall dust bag so I don't see what's collected anymore.  I use the vacuum for other purposes so I don't have more current data.

4 hours ago, mike echo said:

John Setzler posted (italics) this my attention last Fall under the Rec Rec markdowns post I made:

"The most common problems I see with ALL pellet grills are user error.  I find it important to clean out the firepot after every cook.  I do that religiously.  I have a small shop vac that I use. I hit the firepot and the inside base of the grill to remove all the ash and dust and i have zero issues.  If you ignore that bit of maintenance, there are a lot of problems you can have."

Yeah, smart pellet pit owners do exactly that.  Count me among them.

This is the inside of a friend’s new Camp Chef SmokePro SG after running it for an hour at 392° with the heat diffuser closed.  

y4m4pGXaC2q2DJaFydXevyCNCyutqSK3102Ps1AT

I think he should clean his pellets.

3 minutes ago, pmillen said:

This is the inside of a friend’s new Camp Chef SmokePro SG after running it for an hour at 392° with the heat diffuser closed.  

y4m4pGXaC2q2DJaFydXevyCNCyutqSK3102Ps1AT

I think he should clean his pellets.

He should consider a grill with more capacity so he can get a couple more temp probes in there lol

19 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

He should consider a grill with more capacity so he can get a couple more temp probes in there lol

:)  It was a test for temperature evenness (is that a word?).

BTW, I don't care much for testing on an empty pit.  I prefer to simulate a butt or brisket so I put in a wad of damp towels.

EDIT:  This was the pit's initial burn to remove the manufacturing residues.  The controller has a knob pointing to various temperature settings.  The pit was set at the highest setting "High Temp."  We did other testing at lower temperatures.  As my father used to say, "Know your pit."  (Another reason for temperature probes and data.)

Edited by pmillen
Added info.

Just now, pmillen said:

..........evenness (is that a word?).

it is most-definately a BBQ word lol.

if he's willing, it would be a great addition to this thread to see the result of him running same time & temp after the pellets have been sifted.  Wondering how big of an impact it makes, thinking about giving the pvc dust remover a try.

9 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

if he's willing, it would be a great addition to this thread to see the result of him running same time & temp after the pellets have been sifted.  Wondering how big of an impact it makes, thinking about giving the pvc dust remover a try.

Cleaning pellets is not his style.  He thinks I'm over-reacting.  He thinks the same thing about my refusal to eat Teflon.