pmillen

Dust Inside a Pellet Pit

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

The object there is to not leave unburned pellets in the firepot.  If the system is not burning out the fire pot after each cook then it is even more critical to clean that pot before each new cook.  

Many users clean before every cook.  But I wonder why you write that unburned pellets make it more critical to do so? They’ll re-light, ash won't.

Edited by pmillen
Clarification

59 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Which grill are you using? 

Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.

A nice exchange of points of view.  Thanks for being tolerant.  It’s not always evident on other forums.  I think I’ve said everything that I wanted to.

3 minutes ago, pmillen said:

That may be the heart of our discussion.  I guess it depends on how much wood and wood ash a person is willing to eat and serve. Their origins aren’t important.

Next time you cook, take a quarter sheet pan or some other pan that you can set on the rack beside your food.  See how much, if any, ash and debris is collected in that pan during the cook.  Put it on and take it off with your food.  That should give you a good estimate of how much debris is makign it onto your food in the pellet grill.

3 minutes ago, pmillen said:

Many users clean before every cook.  But I wonder why you write that unburned pellets make it more critical to do so? They’ll re-light, ash won't.

There shoudln't be much left in the pot in terms of unburned pellets when you shut down.  It is the ash that will create the problem.  There can be enough ash in the pot that it will keep the new pellets that get dropped in from making contact with the igniter.  This is one of the main reasons they have that cooldown cycle with the fan.  That is suppposed to burn out the remaining pellets AND blow ash out of the fire pot so there is not a thick layer of it left behind.  

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Next time you cook, take a quarter sheet pan or some other pan that you can set on the rack beside your food.  See how much, if any, ash and debris is collected in that pan during the cook.  Put it on and take it off with your food.  That should give you a good estimate of how much debris is makign it onto your food in the pellet grill.

Yeah.  I mentioned that in an earlier post.  I've done it.  I've even put ceramic tiles of varying colors in there.  There was enough dust/ash to convince me to start down this path.

This post's genesis was my wanting to offer a solution to others that may have similar thoughts 

5 hours ago, pmillen said:

Yeah.  I mentioned that in an earlier post.  I've done it.  I've even put ceramic tiles of varying colors in there.  There was enough dust/ash to convince me to start down this path.

This post's genesis was my wanting to offer a solution to others that may have similar thoughts 

Have you seen a difference since you started removing the dust that goes into the hopper?

3 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Have you seen a difference since you started removing the dust that goes into the hopper?

I think that there's a significant difference.  But that's just anecdotal, I don't have data.

37 minutes ago, pmillen said:

I think that there's a significant difference.  But that's just anecdotal, I don't have data.

Can you not see a difference based on your tiles and things you used to identify the problem to begin with?

Sure, I think I see a reduction.  I was just trying to soften my image.  

I don't have comparative measurements or photographs.  I've been cleaning my pellets for years and haven't put tiles in the pit lately, but there are plenty of surfaces, like shelf brackets and the grates, that are cleaner.

A note to anyone who doesn't agree that it's better to clean pellets:  That's fine.  You are entitled to your opinion.  Hold to it if you like.  I  started this thread to point out something that concerned me and to offer a solution to others that may be concerned.

I'm kinda tired of discussing it now.

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

Sure, I think I see a reduction.  I was just trying to soften my image.  

I don't have comparative measurements or photographs.  I've been cleaning my pellets for years and haven't put tiles in the pit lately, but there are plenty of surfaces, like shelf brackets and the grates, that are cleaner.

A note to anyone who doesn't agree that it's better to clean pellets:  That's fine.  You are entitled to your opinion.  Hold to it if you like.  I  started this thread to point out something that concerned me and to offer a solution to others that may be concerned.

I'm kinda tired of discussing it now.

Nah, it’s a good thread.  Wood dust is used to absorb moisture in various applications and I’ve seen folks report issues caused by moistened dust in their auger shaft so I can see where removing dust between the bag & the hopper can benefit.

also thinking that the Traeger Co considered it enough of an issue to develop and sell the shaker buckets to remove dust from pellets before adding to hopper.   ((Shrug)) to each his own 

Sorry if I created ill feelings here... did not intend to.  I do like to argue things in a civil manner sometimes.  With BBQ and grilling, it's always a 'to each his own' scenario.  If someone wants to build a vacuum system to remove dust from a bag of pellets, then it's definitely ok with me :)

I just try to drill down and see if the problem is perceived or real, and then decide if the solution is worth the effort.  This sort of thing got hammered into my mind when I went through Six Sigma Black Belt training.  Root cause analysis was a big thing there.  What I sometimes get lost on is that it doesn't matter if the solution is worth the effort to ME or not.  It's just gotta be worth the effort to whoever is doing it :)  

-alot to think about. I'm gonna "keep on, keepin' on". Just took a quick Google look wondering if the pellet heater people are concerned about pellet dust.  Some are, some are not. Lots of talk about augers getting fouled up.

House dust sends my wife crazy into crazy cleaning mode. I won't let on about pellet dust and grilling.

Still figuring out my pellet grill.

M.

I have an Onida Air Systems Dust Deputy https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit  and a filter bag, that I haven't used, for my Ridgid Shop Vac. I think I will run some pellets through the DD into the bag and see if the dust is substantially reduced and if so, then see if I can tell a difference on a cook.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:27 PM, retfr8flyr said:

I have an Onida Air Systems Dust Deputy https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit  and a filter bag, that I haven't used, for my Ridgid Shop Vac. I think I will run some pellets through the DD into the bag and see if the dust is substantially reduced and if so, then see if I can tell a difference on a cook.

Earl, did you try this?  Did you collect an appreciable amount of pellet dust?

It would be an easier pellet-cleaning job if you found that you can vacuum pellets into something like a Home Depot Buckethead while the Dust Deputy collects the pellet fines.

Or vice-versa, if you collected the fines in the vacuum cleaner and the pellets fell into the Dust Deputy.

15 hours ago, pmillen said:

Earl, did you try this?  Did you collect an appreciable amount of pellet dust?

It would be an easier pellet-cleaning job if you found that you can vacuum pellets into something like a Home Depot Buckethead while the Dust Deputy collects the pellet fines.

Or vice-versa, if you collected the fines in the vacuum cleaner and the pellets fell into the Dust Deputy.

I have not tried this yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The way a DD works is the heavier pieces, in this case the pellets, drop into the bottom of the DD bucket and all the dust goes into the vac. I currently have my DD tied up with my Home Theater upgrade, sucking up all the drywall dust. Since I have been unable to work on the H/T, due to various issues, I haven't wanted to take the time clean up the DD to try it with the pellets. I would think a smaller vac, like the Buckethead from HD, would actually work better with the pellets, due the lower airspeed flow.