I have a smokin stone for my AKORN Kamado, but wanted one for my AKORN Jr.. I found that not only are they scarce, but pricey too. From searches on the forums I did not really see a good solution, so I gave it a try myself to come up with one. Here is what I got:

Wally World has Lodge 10.5 inch griddles for $14.88.

Once out to the shop I cut the handle off. Just eye balled the cut off point to fit on the shelf in the cooker.

Went to the grinding wheel to eliminate the rough surfaces and then drilled holes in the handle and handle lip to hold the bolt, nut and lock washer.

Fit nicely in the cooker and was very stable.

You can remove the deflector with BBQ gloves or use the grill handle which fits nicely in the slot of the griddle handle.

Fired up the grill and seem to work just fine with some salmon fillets I did. 

20190122_115726.jpg

20190122_120747.jpg

20190122_124008.jpg

20190123_165758.jpg

20190124_112917.jpg

I hate waste of every sort. I just could not bear to throw that little handle piece away. That is when I kept wondering "How am I going to pick this thing up when it is hot?". There is a purpose for everything.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SAR Houston
      Hey guys - I had a cook last night where I was searing tuna on my pizzas stone (el cheapo, 16 years old).  I had it in my Joe while it came up to temp, and at 525 for 45 minutes, before putting four tuna steaks on from the fridge.  As I placed them on I heard what seemed to be a cracking sound, though I didn't notice any change in the stone.  I took out the stone to finish them off on the grates, and it came off in a single piece, but 60 seconds after setting it down on the heat pad it split in two.

My question is this: was it stupid to put 35 degree fish on a 525 degree pizza stone, or was it an issue with the stone itself?  I'm about to go pick up a KJ pizza stone - am I going to have the same kind of problem with that one, or is a higher quality stone going to be able to handle such a cook without a problem?  If there are already posts here that deal with this issue, I'd love to be pointed to them.
    • By HokieOC
      With my birthday coming up, I've asked for a few accessories for my new Kamado Joe, one of which is the pizza stone.

My wife pointed out that we have a pizza stone we use in the oven, which after looking around a bit it seems some people do use.  Does anyone know what the difference is, if any in a KJ/BGE pizza stone vs one of the "regular" ones from a bake shop?  Is there any advantage to getting the kamado specific ones?

If not, that will free me up to put another accessory on the wish list!
    • By smithereens
      I have so much to learn. And when it comes to grilling, this is the best place I've found to do that. So here goes:

I want to get a cooking surface that can handle higher temps than my cast iron skillet because whenever I try to use that to sear my steaks, I ruin the seasoning--which is a huge pain. I've been looking at getting a soapstone, but my aversion to paying $120 for a half moon led me to a few different places. I've been considering an 18" round stone from Soapstone Products.....but then I ran across the Fibrament-D baking stone, which got me wondering: 

Will a soapstone work well for pizza? Soapstone Products believes so, but I understand it's not porous and that may not allow for the "perfect" pizza crust." On the flipside, will something like Fibrament's products (or even some pizza stone) satisfy my need for  a high-, even-heat searing with good heat retention? 

Or a third option: am I thinking about this all wrong?

And to be sure, in all of the above cases, I should still be using my heat deflector below my cooking surface, right?
    • By brandon78
      Just curious if anyone is using a cast iron pizza stone for pizzas. I have been looking at one by Patina Premium, versus a traditional stone. I love cast iron in general, and like the idea of it being indestructible. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
    • By cybirr
      Hi,

I just bought a woo ring and stone for indirect cooking (Vision S Kamado).  Did a test burn to see what temps were like.  I absolutely nailed 400F.  So hard I couldn't get it to cool to my target 350F at all.

With lower dampers, one barely cracked and the other closed I couldn't get anything less than 400F.  My questions.

How much affect does the upper dome vent have on temp control?  To smother the fire I close all vents in my attempt to lower the temp.  But normally wouldn't I want the vent fully open otherwise to vent excess smoke?

With the lower dampers closed the fire does die off and temps lower.  But with it even just cracked open temps rise quickly back to 400F.  What techniques would work to better control the temp?

My direct cooks have been great.  I just want to expand the repertoire and am looking for guidance on this.

Thank you.