ckreef

Cracker Jack Pork Tenderloin

Was munching on some Cracker Jacks when an idea hit me. Most kids these days have never even heard of Cracker Jacks. When I was a kid they were the best snacks. Came with a toy surprise in every box. Kewl toys like decoder rings and little army men. Now days you get a sticker and an app code - Yay me :(

Cracker Jack and Apple pork Tenderloin. Parmesan asparagus and a Blueberry crumble. 

cjplA.thumb.jpg.aee61e48a3e51d6fbcaf9ada2ed5023d.jpg

cjplB.thumb.jpg.352bafc0d8199fde9584564eca10e3b3.jpg

It was a decent meal but the ground up Cracker Jacks didn't really do anything for it. I do think I now have the basis for a baked apple dish. We'll explore that idea in the near future. 

great looking meal but, my heart sank when you said apples. Being from GA. I assumed that they were peaches- my fav! :-D

That crumble looks amazing, btw. I was just thinking last night how the few stores that actually carry my old favorites, really charge a premium for them now. Cracker Jacks, Red Hots, Zagnut Bars, Chick-o-Sticks.

3 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

great looking meal but, my heart sank when you said apples. Being from GA. I assumed that they were peaches- my fav! :-D

That crumble looks amazing, btw. I was just thinking last night how the few stores that actually carry my old favorites, really charge a premium for them now. Cracker Jacks, Red Hots, Zagnut Bars, Chick-o-Sticks.

Well last summer I froze a bunch of peaches cut in half. I've been cooking with them this fall and winter. When my niece showed up a few weeks ago I defrosted a bunch so she could make a peach pie (delicious). At this point I only have a small bag of frozen peaches left and about 5 cups of frozen blueberries. No worries spring is right around the corner. 

1 hour ago, KismetKamado said:

Looks like a pretty spectacular meal!  A+ for creativity. Too bad the surprise in the box was lame. At least dinner made up for that. :)

Yea the prizes have definitely gone down hill over the years. 

57 minutes ago, daninpd said:

Thanks for some good ideas for Sunday dinner!  Gonna try bacon wrapped and peach glazed on your apple bed tonight.  

Sounds like a tasty idea. What you can't see is a few apple slices directly under the pork to keep it off the bottom of the dish. 

This was a great concept but the exact recipe I used sucked. That's okay because like you I'll take this idea and run with it sometime in the future. 

3 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

I asked my boys if they wanted this... they asked, “what are cracker jacks?”  Does this mean I am failing as a parent?

LOL - if you're failing then I'm failing because my son also had no idea what Cracker Jacks were.  Oh well their loss. 

It looks great, even if the cracker jack disappointed. I really like something like this where you've cooked a whole dinner on the grill and not one a standard 'grilled meat'! 

36 minutes ago, O C said:

It looks great, even if the cracker jack disappointed. I really like something like this where you've cooked a whole dinner on the grill and not one a standard 'grilled meat'! 

Thank you O C

We rarely fire the indoor oven up these days. Maybe once or twice a month at the most. If you can cook it in a indoor oven you can cook in a kamado. It's really a matter of preheating time. I often come home from work and fire a kamado up. Once at temp it can sit there for the next hour or two until the food is ready to go in.