keeperovdeflame

Anyone have experience freezing Ken Forkish dough balls

Just my wife and I so two dough balls from the 24-72 hour Forkish recipe will make a great pizza night and create a few left over slices to have with scrambled eggs the next morning. I am wondering if freezing the third dough ball is an option. Has anyone done that and been satisfied with performance of the once frozen dough? 

I freeze dough balls and they are fine when eventually cooked. Just give them lots of time to thaw and rest at room temperature. Ideally let them thaw in the fridge and warm up on the counter. 

I don’t think the long fermentation in the fridge (pre-freeze) will make any difference. 

This is taken from Forkish's book. He notes that you cant leave them in too long without killing the yeast. And I suppose that's true but I haven't had much trouble. 

You can freeze extra dough balls, floured and tightly wrapped in plastic. Give them 24 hours to thaw in the refrigerator before using, and then remove them from the refrigerator a couple of hours before making pizza. It’s a good idea to date the frozen dough balls (use tape and a Sharpie) and use them within a week or two from freezing— too long in the freezer will kill the yeast and your dough will be fairly lifeless.

Thanks, I didn't see that quote in his book. I froze some dough balls from a previous recipe I was using and they worked well, however, I did try to cook one I had left in the freezer for a couple months,  and it was terrible, no rise at all, and had a pretty elastic chew, we tossed it in the trash and went out for pizza.