RevNayte

2nd pizza cook on my classic Joe

Very pleased with the results with my new 3/4” corderite stone and the deflector in the high position. Had the stone sitting on mason jar lids on top of the deflectors in the high position. 

Started with some garlic cheese knots, and then made this mushroom, shallot, home-cured bacon, red pepper & jalapeño pizza. 

My crust was .75 kg of 00 flour and .25 kg of whole wheat flour, 2 1/2 cups of water, honey, yeast, and salt. 

The joe fluctuated more than I wanted between about 400 and close to 600, but I was really pleased with the result. 

47C9E084-48C7-483B-9972-A94373569D53.jpeg

754413B5-A529-4ADB-86A6-76722993AED3.jpeg

CB3624B4-25E7-467D-8954-88A4B3AADDE5.jpeg

Very nice looking pie and knots. Glad you found a stone you like. I have had really good performance and  luck with  3/4 or 5/8 inch thick cordierite stones. How long were your knots and pie on for the temp to fluctuate 200 degrees? Did you leave the vents wide open? 

5 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Very nice looking pie and knots. Glad you found a stone you like. I have had really good performance and  luck with  3/4 or 5/8 inch thick cordierite stones. How long were your knots and pie on for the temp to fluctuate 200 degrees? Did you leave the vents wide open? 

I mean, realistically I was cooking between 450 and 600, usually close to about 550. I’m just still learning about control/playing and experimenting before putting food on (and a little during if the food is forgiving)

Sure, I have been tweaking my doughs and technique for years. . For me the most important thing during a pizza cook occurs before putting the pizza on. I have learned that it is important to reach your target temp and then tap back your vents little  and let it sit there for about 30 or more minutes to allow your stone to completely come up to temp, before you put on your pies. I use one of those infrared laser thermometers to read the temp of my stone. I generally cook between 600 and 650. When I first started cooking pizza, I would throw on a pie as soon as the dome thermometer hit 600 without waiting for my stone temp to match the dome. Since I have started waiting until my stone temp hits 600, I have had much better results. 

I'm guessing the temp didn't really fluctuate as much as you think it did. Yea the temp showing on your thermometer fluxuated a good bit but that's because cold air hit the probe tip every time you opened the dome. Doesn't really mean the actual cooking temp fluxuated that much. This is a hard concept for new kamado users to get over. If I have a kamado crusin along at a given temp I quit worrying about the thermometer reading once I start opening and closing the dome. And definitely don't start tweaking the vents back and forth.

If the vents were set right for a given temp to begin with they are still set right even if the thermometer doesn't say so. 

#2 looks great. #3 and beyond should get even better.

Keep it up and +1 on what @ckreef said about heat soaking your stone/steel. 

I’ve learned that hydration, time, and temperature are among key factors in a pizza cook and that your pizza is cooking from below (conduction via a heat-soaked stone) and above (radiation from a heat-soaked dome and convection from hot air trapped in the dome).

posted this somewhere else, but has anybody ever used a grill expander to get the pizza stone even higher in the dome? looks like my stone will fit with some air passthrough space and really get me up high on my new expander, and I want to keep tinkering