Sign in to follow this  
Bgosnell151

Soft Boiled vs Poached Eggs

other than the method the egg is cooked (one in shell, one out of shell) is there really a difference between the two?  I find it way easier to soft boil and egg and pretty much have it down to a science.  Is there any reason why I would not be able to replace a poached egg with a soft boiled egg in a recipe?

If you get the yolks and whites to the same consistency, the texture and taste is going to be pretty much identical between the two cooking methods. The difference, IMO, would be in what the cooked egg looks like and it's presentation in a dish. if you ate them blind folded I don't think you could tell the difference. But,   I can't imagine sitting down to  eggs Benedict with either a broken or whole soft boiled egg sitting on top of a slice of ham on a biscuit or muffin. Wouldn't look right or good to me. Just something about that poached egg look, and the fact it's presented unbroken and then you break the yolk yourself releasing it's silky goodness that runs down  over the muffin or biscuit. If the recipe has no real presentation quality, then I don't see a difference. But to me the whole mystique about poached eggs is the way they look on the dish, and the silky unbroken yolk. Just my two cents. Half of the joy of eating comes from what you see on your plate.  My mom used to make me what she called basted eggs Southern style. My Grandpa loved it. She fried bacon in a skillet, removed the bacon, and added milk to the bacon grease. Then she soft fried an egg sunny side up in the thin layer of milk and bacon grease. As the egg fried she spooned the hot milk and grease over the yolk and top of egg, basting it, and kind of making it a fried / poached egg. She then placed the bacon making an X on a piece of toast, topped by the egg, and then  poured some of the bacon grease milk mixture over the top an to the toast.  I haven't had this dish for years and years, but can still see it and taste it.  Not exactly healthy according to todays standards, but man was it good. 

49 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

If you get the yolks and whites to the same consistency, the texture and taste is going to be pretty much identical between the two cooking methods. The difference, IMO, would be in what the cooked egg looks like and it's presentation in a dish. if you ate them blind folded I don't think you could tell the difference. But,   I can't imagine sitting down to  eggs Benedict with either a broken or whole soft boiled egg sitting on top of a slice of ham on a biscuit or muffin. Wouldn't look right or good to me. Just something about that poached egg look, and the fact it's presented unbroken and then you break the yolk yourself releasing it's silky goodness that runs down  over the muffin or biscuit. If the recipe has no real presentation quality, then I don't see a difference. But to me the whole mystique about poached eggs is the way they look on the dish, and the silky unbroken yolk. Just my two cents. Half of the joy of eating comes from what you see on your plate.  My mom used to make me what she called basted eggs Southern style. My Grandpa loved it. She fried bacon in a skillet, removed the bacon, and added milk to the bacon grease. Then she soft fried an egg sunny side up in the thin layer of milk and bacon grease. As the egg fried she spooned the hot milk and grease over the yolk and top of egg, basting it, and kind of making it a fried / poached egg. She then placed the bacon making an X on a piece of toast, topped by the egg, and then  poured some of the bacon grease milk mixture over the top an to the toast.  I haven't had this dish for years and years, but can still see it and taste it.  Not exactly healthy according to todays standards, but man was it good. 

Guess I know what’s for breakfast tomorrow!!!

On 1/29/2019 at 11:53 PM, BURGER MEISTER said:

Only issue I have with the soft boil is handling the egg to get it outa the shell.   I'm really a twink when it comes right down to it.

That is one other thing the Instant Pot does well is make eggs much easier to peel.