I have had great luck with Restaurant Depot's Angus briskets, but this weekend at my Costco, during my random sweep of the fresh food section, I saw they finally started carrying USDA Prime packer brisket, and to support that continuing, I left with one. It was commented on by the cashier, the person checking the receipt, and the cashier at the liquor store, all some variation of "oh, wow, we must have just started carrying that, I need to get myself one at the end of my shift". In talking with them all, the Costco employees seem to enjoy the annual visits from Pit Boss, Traeger, and Kamado Joe. 

213511501_ScreenShot2019-01-29at9_07.28PMcopy.thumb.jpg.6830fa6355e09eeaf986030287a13b00.jpg

I put the brisket with salt and pepper on at 1am on a 225 degree Big Joe with hickory wood, and slept like a baby. I realized my BBQ alarm has never gone off since learning how to work the ceramics. Woke up in the morning, wrapped in butcher paper, and then pulled the entire Brisket for an hour rest at 2pm. I decided to make burnt ends out of the point (a family favorite) so those got covered in hot pepper rub and sriracha garlic BBQ sauce and then had another hour on the kamado. Everything rested in the warming oven until dinner time. 

408233898_ScreenShot2019-01-29at9_07.45PMcopy.thumb.jpg.86b10ef7678e195ddf8b9d9793aeb3df.jpg

The flat ended up looking different from most of my cooks, but was super moist and tasty even though it sliced almost like pulled beef. We enjoyed some of the leftovers into the week in tacos and eggs.

1031766448_ScreenShot2019-01-29at9_08.02PMcopy.thumb.jpg.bb8af5d6c2eadb6afa8971e2469375e0.jpg

I hope these remain available where I live, as I plan to have many more cooks with them. We got half a dozen family meals out of $40 of meat that in the grand scheme of things was an easy cook. 

2 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

The butchers at my Costco told me that they don't put out the prime beef until Friday and Saturday. During the week the meat choices are primarily prime.

That's pretty interesting GG. I've gotten brisket there during the week before. I don't shop there often of course but, whenever I am picking up/dropping or my wife/children at the airport, I swing by there. Maybe that's a more recent change. Everyone in line wasanxious to know how I would cook it.

This may not be news to people that live in the home of "Texas-Style Brisket" ;-). It was a big deal in DE and I am thrilled at the new option and going to learn to cook these better and better and do them justice. 

Cuts seem to vary considerably by geographic region. For instance, the only Tri-Tip I have ever purchased (or even seen) was from my whole beef buys when I gave cut lists. I have never seen one in a store/consumer butcher/etc. Our Costco always has Prime tenderloin, ribeye, other primals, and cut and tenderized steaks. 

Locally, the discount club we use (BJ's) only carries the most popular cryo-pac meats, so brisket flats. I usually get whole, choice-grade, cryo-pac briskets at Walmart. I can get prime at a local meat shop, along with just about anything else you'd like (just ask), at a price. If your butcher can't get it (be sure to ask), try another. Most cuts are available everywhere in the US. 

Have fun,

Frank 

Some of this may be changing times. For instance, the local butcher that I had to write in "tri-tip" on prior whole beef cut lists now lists the cut on their available meats today on their website. I am an enthusiastic meat buyer and I am seeing a number of things available now that I am certain were not here in the past.

I am all for more options and more variety!

8 hours ago, Chasdev said:

That's strange, in South Austin all Costco offers is Prime...it's there every Wed which is when we do our shopping.

Might be my Costco.  I was looking for some prime beef last summer and asked the butcher. He told me about when he puts out the prime beef. I have noticed that during the week there are some small choices of prime meat, but most of the beef is choice grade.

2 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I prefer choice over their prime as there is way too much fat on them..

In fact I've only tried one from Costco, it had too much fat to eat, so HEB choice is my go to.

I still use Costco Briskets, which have always been prime, except for one maybe 3 or 4 month period last year when there was some kind of beef shortage/rising prices and they carried exclusively choice briskets. However, I have marked for some time that the Costco briskets consistently have more fat that I am trimming away than any other brisket I buy. I am not sure whether it's exclusive to prime briskets in general, i.e., more intramuscular fat, etc. or just the way Costco is requiring their briskets be processed.

Just got back from Costco and today they had "American Wagyu" branded prime graded packers for under $5 a lb.

They were biguns, total prices were just under $100.

Too rich for my blood.