TCBum

Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket vs Kick Ash Basket

I was in the process of ordering a KAB for my Big Joe when I saw the KJ Basket which works with the D/C system.  Has anyone purchased the KJ basket and is it as good as or better than the KAB?

Kick Ash or Kamado Big Joe Basket?

I have the Big Joe KJ basket. It works great. I use the divider quite a bit with the rotisserie. I like how the system works. The stones rest on the tabs, it is easy to pull out with the D&C ring.

For the classic size, I got the kick ash basket to save some money since I did not see needing a divider.

I have both baskets.  I had bought the KAB before KJ produced their basket.  

Both are made of stainless steel.

The KJ basket is a bit heavier construction than the KAB, especially on the bottom grate of the basket.  That part is significantly heavier on the KJ basket.  

The KJ basket is designed to connect to the Divide & Conquer rack.  Some folks like that and some don't.  The KJ basket changes the way the heat deflectors sit in the d/c rack.  They now sit on the tabs of the charcoal basket rather than on the lower part of the d/c rack.  Some folks don't care for that.  I don't see it as an issue.  The KAB operates completely independently of the d/c rack.

The KJ basket does not have standard handles on it if you wanted to lift it out without the rack.  

The KJ basket comes with the divider.   I think that is extra on the KAB. 

A large national KJ retailer told me a week ago that they contacted KJ and have no detail on the KJ basket.  The CS Rep wrote on Jan 21st, "I will reach out to them again and let you know.  They don't have it advertised on their website either, which is a bit puzzling if this is their actual product."

Is it for sale as a stand-alone purchase, now?

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I have both baskets.  I had bought the KAB before KJ produced their basket.  

Both are made of stainless steel.

The KJ basket is a bit heavier construction than the KAB, especially on the bottom grate of the basket.  That part is significantly heavier on the KJ basket.  

The KJ basket is designed to connect to the Divide & Conquer rack.  Some folks like that and some don't.  The KJ basket changes the way the heat deflectors sit in the d/c rack.  They now sit on the tabs of the charcoal basket rather than on the lower part of the d/c rack.  Some folks don't care for that.  I don't see it as an issue.  The KAB operates completely independently of the d/c rack.

The KJ basket does not have standard handles on it if you wanted to lift it out without the rack.  

The KJ basket comes with the divider.   I think that is extra on the KAB. 

Thanks John for your comments.   After posting this I found your review on the KJ basket in another section of the forum.  It only makes sense to get the KJ basket.  

KJ Basket owner here and like it.  I wanted it to connect to the D&C system and also liked the fact it included the divider.   I haven't used the KAB but had checked it out at our local Ace hardware store.

4 hours ago, pmillen said:

A large national KJ retailer told me a week ago that they contacted KJ and have no detail on the KJ basket.  The CS Rep wrote on Jan 21st, "I will reach out to them again and let you know.  They don't have it advertised on their website either, which is a bit puzzling if this is their actual product."

Is it for sale as a stand-alone purchase, now?

Atlanta Grill Company sells it. See here.

Interesting. Didn't know that existed. Just got the Kick Ash Basket about a month or so ago. I probably would have gone with the KJ one if I knew it was coming but the KAB works great so no big regrets.

18 minutes ago, helliger said:

Interesting. Didn't know that existed. Just got the Kick Ash Basket about a month or so ago. I probably would have gone with the KJ one if I knew it was coming but the KAB works great so no big regrets.

I received the KAB for Christmas and it's working out great for me. I was initially attracted to the KJ model but I've come to really appreciate the handles.