TCBum

Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket vs Kick Ash Basket

12 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

The kick ash basket does not integrate with the d/c system.  It sits below it rather than attaching to it.  when using a KAB, the deflectors sit on the d/c rack instead of the basket.

Ok. Great. So there is no alteration to the d&c set-out/function with the KAB.

On a second note, does removing the cast iron bottom plate as part of KAB or KJBasket accelerate degradation of the ash pan system by exposing it to higher heat?

26 minutes ago, l2oBiN said:

Ok. Great. So there is no alteration to the d&c set-out/function with the KAB.

On a second note, does removing the cast iron bottom plate as part of KAB or KJBasket accelerate degradation of the ash pan system by exposing it to higher heat?

There should be no alteration of either system for any reason.. that was the whole reason i made that video.  I haen't had any issues with my ash pans degrading in any way.

6 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

There should be no alteration of either system for any reason.. that was the whole reason i made that video.  I haen't had any issues with my ash pans degrading in any way.

My ash pan has warped, losing it's original shape and it's a real struggle to remove it. This happened not long after converting to a KAB. I should probably order a new one...but I'm worried it too will warp again.

36 minutes ago, bbqd said:

My ash pan has warped, losing it's original shape and it's a real struggle to remove it. This happened not long after converting to a KAB. I should probably order a new one...but I'm worried it too will warp again.

When I frequently clean out my Big Joe, I vacuum the fire box, pull the ash pan and vacuum the ash pan area.  So I've been thinking that when I start using my charcoal basket and remove the cast iron bottom grate (whatever it's called) I'll also just remove the ash pan.  There's not much merit to having the pan when I vacuum the area anyway.