Sign in to follow this  
helliger

Hello

Purchased a Kamado Joe several months ago and loving it. Had done most of my smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain. Grilling on either a Weber Kettle or Weber Gas grill and also used a charbroile oil less turkey cooker (for a lot more than just turkey, pretty cool and inexpensive thing actually).

Finding the Kamado covers a ton of territory. Replaced the charcoal grate with a Kick Ash Basket (useful upgrade). The Kamado pretty much does everything the other things do so coming up with inventive excuses to explain to the wife why I need to keep them all.

Thinking of getting some kind of remote temperature control. Not sure which one yet. Leaning towards a digiq since I already have a Thermoworks smoke.

anyhow Hello for the San Francisco bay area

Welcome to the forum, glad your enjoying your Kamado Joe.  The first thing I got rid of was after purchasing a KJ was the Weber Smokey Mountain,  it was a great cooker but a real pain to clean, especially the water pan.    

Welcome aboard! I too considered purchasing a temp controller but held off. I worked on vent temp control until I was confident. Then did an overnighter on a rather expensive brisket with nothing more than the probe in the meat. Slept nicely until alarm started beeping. I have done several overnighters since with no problem. Enjoy the new grill, whichever route you choose.

Welcome, glad to have both you and your new Joe with us. Your right a kamado is an extremely. versatile cooker. You can do all the BBQ classics, fancy gourmet recipes, breads pies pizza and all types of baked goods, pretty much anything you can cook in a kitchen oven. Enjoy your new kamado and the forum conversation as well.