Sign in to follow this  
helliger

Any suggestions cleaning ash from Kamado Joe with the 5 piece fire box?

Anyone with the newer style Kamado Joe's have a slick way to clean out the ash from the bottom of the Kamado Joe without having to take the fire box apart? 

On mine the metal frame that the removable ash drawer sits in can't be removed without taking the firebox apart and I can see a bunch of ash falls into the cracks on the side of the frame.

I took the firebox apart and there was quite a bit of ash down there. Would be nice to be able to clean that without taking the firebox apart. I'm guessing the answer is no but maybe someone's found a trick?

I don't cook on a KJ but every kamado produces ash, and we all find ways to control the excess. 

Because I don't cook on a KJ, I don't  know how much room you have or if this will work for you but this is what I do to clean under and behind my BGE fire box, without removing it. I use an ash vac and constructed a home made fitting out of soft pliable plastic tubing about 2" long. I use it in two ways one is to push it in through the bottom vent going outside of the fire box to pick up any ash that accumulates in the space between the kettle wall and the outside of the fire box. The other method involves pushing the tube through the air holes to get at the ash that way. This method does not produce a clean like removing the ceramic components and using the ash vac to vacuum it everything perfectly clean, but it does a good job of removing most of the ash, and thats plenty enough for interim cleaning. Maybe using something like I do, you could push the tube in through the bottom vent and then along the inside and outside of the bracket that holds your ash assembly. Just my two cents. 

There was a conversation about this a little while ago, and some of us talked about using our shop vac’s. Yep they work well.

KK came into the thread and said use a leaf blower, and I thought yeah right. Then I started to think about it.  That gals onto something good.  I don’t use my shop vac anymore.

I do use an electric leaf blower for this. My personal preference,  others mileage may vary. 

Just pull the tray out, point your Joe in the direction you want the ash to go. I’d recommend down wind. Close the lid, snap it shut tight, open the top vent all the way, stick the end of the leaf blower in the vent. I seal the blower tube up it with a big car washing sponge.  Crank that blower up, move it around at different angles,  and poof the ash heads down wind. If you wand to open it up and take a couple more shots to hit different areas you can, but I don’t get it that much cleaner.

Pretty neat trick KK. Thanks!

Edited by Never L8 4 chow

thanks for the responses. I think the reason (actually I know the reason) I'm getting more ash inside the bottom part is because I've been shaking the Kick Ash Basket inside the kamado which is sort of making the ash go everywhere so it doesn't fall down cleanly into the removable ash basket. I think I'll shake it somewhere else instead and just take it apart a few time a year to clean.

Was thinking maybe there was some easy way to remove the insert for the ash basket liner that I was missing but it sounds like taking the box apart is what needs to happen to really get in there.

10 minutes ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

There was a conversation about this a little while ago, and some of us talked about using our shop vac’s. Yep they work well.

KK came into the thread and said use a leaf blower, and I thought yeah right. Then I started to think about it.  That gals onto something good.  I don’t use my shop vac anymore.

I do use an electric leaf blower for this. My personal preference,  others mileage may vary. 

Just pull the tray out, point your Joe in the direction you want the ash to go. I’d recommend down wind. Close the lid, snap it shut tight, open the top vent all the way, stick the end of the leaf blower in the vent. I seal the blower tube up it with a big car washing sponge.  Crank that blower up, move it around at different angles,  and poof the ash heads down wind. If you wand to open it up and take a couple more shots to hit different areas you can, but I don’t get it that much cleaner.

Pretty neat trick KK. Thanks!

hmm, replied before I read these latest responses. That sounds like it would work great. Just gotta make ultra sure the ash is completely  out. I live in California with a bunch of vegetation around me so the neighbors would probably get a little angry if I lit the hill on fire. I usually blame everything on the dog but that might be a hard sell.

2 hours ago, helliger said:

hmm, replied before I read these latest responses. That sounds like it would work great. Just gotta make ultra sure the ash is completely  out. I live in California with a bunch of vegetation around me so the neighbors would probably get a little angry if I lit the hill on fire. I usually blame everything on the dog but that might be a hard sell.

Yeeaaaah....waiting for the fire to be completely out, like maybe a day or two is probably a good idea. You know, just considering your location and all. 

In case anyone ask, tell’em potash baby, it’s good for the plants, and say it with authority.  You couldn’t believe how much the flowers pop around  my porch.

Edited by Never L8 4 chow